scrarfussi:
interesting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pER95orq93k&t=628s

chrisc:
Thanks, most interesting

To summarise, some tips

Use a music server, not a PC
Use shielded ethernet cable
A ethernet converter using an optical cable is even better (but which streamers have an optical input?)
Good idea about the HomePlug concept

He did not say anything about the quality of the ethernet switch

chrisc:
So if one's switch and/or streamer does not have an optical connection, a pair of these is necessary?

Gohde:
To be, the presenter keeps making one statement that doesnít match with my understanding of digital data transmission: the role of analogue signal noise in digital signals.

And I have a small home, with a fairly robust little network: 200mb fiber line into a Ubiquiti Edge Router and a PoE switch. The switch serves two Access Points and two small switches, one in the office and one in the living room. A lot is wired for stability and bandwidth (the system can stream 4K HDR - the only limitation is starting to be the server).

As I understand it, a data stream runs through the cable as analogue electrical signal sending binary electric pulses. The router/switch/lan adapter turns the digital bits into these analogue pulses that are read out again. A LAN cable doesnít send something other than voltage and current down a set of cables. Noise (from any source) added to this only get received in so far as it affects the readability of the signal. This results in errors, and errors (due to the plethora or error detection and correction measures) usually manifest in a reduction of bandwidth, requiring more data to be sent and resent until it makes it. I only have 30m as the longest cable, but a lot of electrical wiring close to where it runs, so I opted for better shielded CAT6 rather than CAT5e cables, and I get a solid 900mbit through my 1gbit ports. So no noise makes it through into the digital portion, it just deteriorates speeds.

Wireless is the most obvious: when I walk down the yard, things start cutting out because drops. I can usually still listen to music a good few meters beyond where I can do a video call.

The video almost talks about digital signal and analogue noise as if the network switch someone functions like a device that interpolates or merges analogue noise into a digital system.

Optical cable only makes sense for bandwidth. The higher the bandwidth, the more susceptible to noise from cabling it gets. So you see optical cables in 10gbit networking. Iíve seen awesome setups with optical thunderbolt cables (40gbits) that run a hub with 4K display and peripherals to a desk with the PC in a separate room to keep the noise away.

In short, if you have a stable connection, itís fine. Audio (esp. streamed) is buffered and not susceptible to jitter or lag.

Vinotinto81:
It's first time to post to this forum.

I have installed optical connection of Lan cables to my system ( BroudbandRouter-SwitchingHub, INTEN NUC(for ROCK) - SwitchingHUB).
Even after my introducing this optical connection after my setting up of new Switching Hub of SOtM sNH-10G, this brought me a good result of low Noice and clear transparancy.
And, my audiophile freind in Japan insist that sound quality of optical connection depends on the Media converter and its SFP module.
so, based on his recommendation, I also use "Startech 9151A(HP Convatible) module with MCM-10GSFP media converter, with better result than other module.

however... most important things I think is power supply to devices. how to avoid noise from outside(PCs, TV, Fridge, etc..) which comes from electric line. now I use automobile buttery, but needs to time for charging whenever I use...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version