A subwoofer for a horn system

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u235

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
My system consists of a Cambridge CXN feeding a Leak 20 valve amp (7W per channel before serious distortion sets in), feeding folded horn speakers with about 103dB sensitivity. The speakers are based on a Coral design with a larger mouth, running one full range 20watt Goodmans Axiom 201 driver each, with a separate super tweeter crossing over at about 8KHz and going up to 30Khz. The circumference of the horn mouth is 1.8m, as as is the folded horn sound path.

The sound is wonderful, but rolls off below about 50hz. Also, some material is very bass shy. Remastered digitised albums from the 60s and 70s sound lean. While I'm not a bass junkie, I would like to hear Bill Bruford on King Crimson's Lark's Tongues in Aspic the way he should sound, filling in a marvellous rich and complex rhythm section.

So I want a subwoofer. I tried commercial subs, 4 of them ranging in price from R6800 to R22000, and none of them worked for me. THe sound became blurred and unpalatable, and even the mids were affected.

Latest posts