Audio and Video Talk > Reel to Reel & Cassette Tapes

Akai 1720L

(1/1)

Cowboy:
Hey tapers, I am looking at buying one of these for vanity purposes. What is a good price for one in good working order?

marcochezzi:
eish She is an old lady, that one..

If for vanity sake then yes drop some dime on that, but not a lot... I would not top R200 - R400 on that unit..

If you want it for proper listening, bear in mind they have a poor top end frequency response and a low signal to noise ratio..

If the above is not important to you and you are going to purchase it for proper listening, then the value of the machine is 100% dependent on the state of the heads, if they are worn beyond a point, then really rather don't..

Will probably need belts, pressure roller and all caps replaced to work within spec again, but they are pretty..

I threw one away just the other day..

Cowboy:
Thanks very much for that input, Marco. Yeah, it would be mostly for vanity but the one on offer the seller wants R1800 which is a long way off your suggested pricing, so I will likely pass.

marcochezzi:

--- Quote from: Cowboy on August 06, 2021, 07:09:19 PM ---Thanks very much for that input, Marco. Yeah, it would be mostly for vanity but the one on offer the seller wants R1800 which is a long way off your suggested pricing, so I will likely pass.
[/quote

In my opinion that is expensive for that unit, I guess its all relative though..
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version