Audio and Video Talk > The Vintage Audio section

Replacing Wooden Panels

(1/3) > >>

Gohde:
Does anyone know whether replacing the wooden panels/case of vintage amps increases their value? What is better: original but scuffed or new and bespoke?

I got a Sansui AU-101 and I will definitely keep the original panels (but they are scuffed). I did want to make new ones from some bargain bin wood from the timber place (whatever is there and nice, maybe Wild Olive).

Itís a hypothetical: not selling it, but curious if value is placed in vintage gear being Ďoriginalí?

Family_Dog:
I would prefer keeping the original wooden panels unless they are really fubar. Usually just scratches bit if they have chips broken off, then up for debate.

-F_D

Gohde:

--- Quote from: Family_Dog on August 01, 2021, 08:24:17 PM ---I would prefer keeping the original wooden panels unless they are really fubar. Usually just scratches bit if they have chips broken off, then up for debate.

-F_D

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Iíll definitely keep the originals somewhere safe in case I ever want to sell it. Might post a picture once I get time to make the new panels.

Family_Dog:
Yep, you do need to post 'before & after' pics, we're pic freaks here.

How about posting one now? I also have one of these but mine does not feature wooden cheeks. If you browse my 'time for some housekeeping' topic in the Vintage section, you will see evidence of that.

-F_D

oradba69:
Cant the originals just be restored?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version