Help! Ubuntu or Linux Mint - or ??

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have an old Acer TravelMate 2501LC Laptop that has choked itself to death on XP3. I downloaded Ubuntu 1104 and installed it as a dual-boot system on the Acer. I like it, but hate the purple colour it uses on bootup - what the hell were they thinking??

Ubuntu is so user-friendly that I have now decided to wipe my XP-partitioned HD completely and only use Linux. But the question of Linux Mint arises: I had previously played a bit with this and liked it as well. So now I need suggestions from the clever guys - do I install Mint or Ubuntu? I want the one that is easiest for a newbie to play with and just hate that yucky purple start-up screen from Ubuntu.

Specs of the Acer:

15" XGA TFT LCD
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP
1 GB DDR400 (? - I think - I upgraded it from the original 512GB DDR333 SDRAM)
40GB Ultra ATA/100 HDD
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive.

I also would probably prefer to wipe all data on the partitioned drive and convert to only one drive ("C") - my Partition Manager 8 bombs out on opening claiming there is an error in the HDD which it wants to fix - not going that way again, I had the same problem with another Laptop and had to re-format the drive completely at great loss of brain power.

All replies will be gratefully received, I would like to do this today still so hope I am not interrupting any afternoon naps.

-F_D