Author Topic: Media PC / HTPC - do you still have one?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
Re: Media PC / HTPC - do you still have one?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
What made the Linux build better for you?

Ubuntu Studio is designed around music,  mainly composition but has useful attributes for music reproduction.  The laptop was a Dell i5 with 16gb memory and an SSD.
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline MR.C

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 09:42:10 PM »
Which upgraded NUC did you get and how is it?

On a side note, is Amazon Prime open in SA or do you need a US address or IP etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this, bought it used :
Check this out on takealot: Intel NUC7I3BNH NUC Kit - i3-7100U CPU
https://www.takealot.com/intel-nuc7i3bnh-nuc-kit-i3-7100u-cpu/PLID45242604

It can take an m.2 ssd, and a regular 2.5" ssd. Ssd can be as small as120gb for the OS, and the 2.5" can be much bigger, up to 2tb for storage.

Amazon Prime is available is ZA, not the US Amazon Prime, but there is a lot of shows.
Vodacom had a free 6 month promo.
I think its still valid :
https://www.vodacom.co.za/vodacom/services/amazon-prime-video

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:47:01 PM by MR.C »
I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline MR.C

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2021, 09:45:47 PM »
Quoted instead or edited.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:48:13 PM by MR.C »
I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline msch997

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2021, 10:17:59 PM »
Windows 10 PC, Intel i5, Nvidia Graphics Card that supports 4K and HDR (Nvidia GTX 1050ti) 16 GB RAM, SSD Operating system drive and then WD NAS Drives for media.
Runs Kodi and Power DVD.  Plugged with HDMI into Denon X4500H AVR.

My full library of Blu-ray disks and DVD's are ripped and held there, with full menu's.

Also serves as a Roon controller for music when required.

Nothing can replace it (Stored as Blu-ray with menu's, not ripped to mkv containers, PowerDVD takes care of the Blu-Ray with menu's and Kodi the library management)

Offline Neville

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2021, 10:22:02 PM »
How is the noise with the Nvidia card as well as the NAS drives? Are silent moments in movies still silent?

Offline msch997

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 10:29:26 PM »
How is the noise with the Nvidia card as well as the NAS drives? Are silent moments in movies still silent?

When the PC boots up there is quite a bit of noise, but once settled its silent.  I have about 3 fans if I remember correctly in there as well and again I never notice them. 

Offline cybasoul

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2021, 12:03:04 AM »
If so, did you build it yourself or buy it somewhere?

A quick search and I can't even find anyone selling media pc's anymore...am I showing my age?
Built a gaming spec HTPC back in 2009 and it's still in service. It only has a 64GB SSD and streams from my Microserver and the internet.

My HP MICROSERVER is running TrueNas and runs 24/7 serving media, downloading stuff and doing backups of important stuff, including daily backups of our phones' photos.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 12:05:39 AM by cybasoul »

Offline handsome

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2021, 07:05:37 AM »
I run an HP N40L Microserver with WHS2011. Runs Plex and Logitech Media Server, backs up the PCs in its spare time. Bit noisy so sits in a separate room. SSD for OS and several HDDs for music, movies and backups. Can't transcode so I just do that manually with Handbrake. Use the smart TV for Netflix. All works like a charm and has been doing so for over 8 years now.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline Neville

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2021, 07:24:10 AM »
I run an HP N40L Microserver with WHS2011. Runs Plex and Logitech Media Server, backs up the PCs in its spare time. Bit noisy so sits in a separate room. SSD for OS and several HDDs for music, movies and backups. Can't transcode so I just do that manually with Handbrake. Use the smart TV for Netflix. All works like a charm and has been doing so for over 8 years now.

Cool, I have similar setup on the N40L but it bugs me that WHS2011 is no longer supported. Last it tried to update with Windows Update it failed. Does yours update? And does it link to newer Win10 systems for backups? I recall having issues with the WHS2011 client software not running on my Win10 laptop so backups no longer work

Offline DeonC

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2021, 07:49:51 AM »
I have a NuForce MSR-1 that I am close to hooking up (finally). Got a touch screen monitor for it as well. Old school, but still good methinks.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline handsome

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2021, 09:27:01 AM »
No more support for WHS2011 - it backs up my Win10 but i have never tried a recovery so who knows if the back ups work....i got other  software to manually back up the crucial stuff

Offline Orcish75

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2021, 11:03:06 PM »
Media PC / HTPC - do you still have one?

Yup, most definitely, and I doubt it'll ever be replaced, only upgraded. Mine is very similar in spec to @msch997 PC. i5, 16GB ram, Blu-Ray drive, 250GB SSD boot drive, 1TB data drive and AMD RX 470 GPU. It plays pretty much every audio/video format imaginable from the PC beep to 4K UHD HDR with ATMOS and it'll most likely play any future format that's created.

The only downside is that's it's not quick plug and play like a smart TV if you just want to watch Netflix or Showmax etc. Doesn't bother me at all, but the wife says it's too much of a mission, we're always fighting with each other over the TV as the source or the PC as the source. The TV and amp aren't eARC so no HD audio formats when the TV is the source and that bothers me immensly!! I'll quite happily put up with 10 second boot time and mouse/keyboard if it gets me ATMOS.  :rubhands:

Gaming on that PC is also at another level when connected up to the 75" HDR TV and proper surround sound. Even the new versions of kiddies games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot are spectacular.

The HTPC is a one stop shop for everything digital and the fact that each component can be upgraded separately is a huge bonus. I'm an HT nut but if I ever wanted to do some critical listening, it's just a high end DAC away.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2021, 02:06:08 PM »

I have an even older N36L .. would hate to run Windoze on it, but has been a rock-steady NAS running Open Media Vault for the past three years.  I don't run Plex or LMS (OK, LSM on occasion when I am playing around with Piberries), but have a PC in the study that runs the Jriver server, with a client on the NUC in the lounge.  OMV is bit fiddly to get working but the blast from the past then is Rotten Johnny gave me expert online help all the way from the UK and even IT-dunce me got it working in the end. It runs off a memory stick on the motherboard USB header, leaving all the drive bays available for storage. If you purely need file server capability I would strongly recommend going the OMV route.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass