Author Topic: Help in identifying my cables  (Read 388 times)

Offline chrisd

Help in identifying my cables
« on: July 16, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/186327240@N08/51315506374/in/dateposted-public/
 Hello All, will a knowledgeable member help me to identify the fatter of the two cables in the photo.I know the slimmer cable is QED Silver Anniversary which I bought in England IN 2019.The fatter cable I also thought was QED Silver Anniversary.I bought this a very long time back.It was brought to me by a family member from London and up till now I thoght it was also QED Silver Anniversary.Maybe it was QED Ruby Anniversary if there ever was a cable like that.Basically I'm trying to identify the fatter cable and determine if it is directional from amp to speaker as I cannot see any markings on the cable.Can anyone help?
Thanks very much

Offline Cuco

Re: Help in identifying my cables
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 12:14:52 PM »
Why don'y you try both directions and keep the one you like...

Offline ghostinthemachine

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
Right one looks like Synergistic Research
Hi-Fi is what YOU make of it. See my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/dewaudioza & my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1YZJWgrGwdCYSyGP8JEd7Q

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 01:12:27 PM »
There will be 0.0000001% difference depending whether you reverse them or not

More important is the diameter or cross-section of the cables.   To me they look similar, but check the actual copper part for size
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline chrisd

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »
Hi members,
                   My wife's eyes are better than mine and between us we could make out the the fatter cable is Chord Carnival Silver Screen.However I take the point made that it would not make one iota of difference.Thanks again for the contributions.

Offline chrisd

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 01:01:46 PM »
I meant to say it won't make any difference as to the directionality of the cable.

Offline naughty

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 01:00:42 AM »
on speaker cable - the only time i believe in directionality is when you have one of those cables with a box inbetween like the transparent (brand) or MIT ones which are reputed to generally be zobel impedance networks

generally though for aesthetics when the arrows are visible i just follow the direction of the arrows - i mean if the arrows are seen then having them pointing in the wrong direction just "looks" pretty clueless even if it doesn't sound different  :giggle:

if there are no arrows visible on the sheath - just plump them on in any direction and bobs your uncle
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:04:40 AM by naughty »

Offline chrisd

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 01:36:32 PM »
Thanks very much. It just seems that all the speaker cables I have owned prior to the Chords did have directionality shown on the cable.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk