Author Topic: iTUNES> TIME TO CHANGE. TOWHAT? HOW?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline CoryV

iTUNES> TIME TO CHANGE. TOWHAT? HOW?
« on: July 15, 2021, 10:24:51 PM »
I need some advice

For 30 years or so I have loved my iPod , linked to iTunes on my Windows PC. I intend to keep the 30 or so GB on my new (10 yrs old) iPod Touch. I am now a pensioner in the sticks without corporate bandwidth and reliant on expensive Vodacom 4G
But fibre will be here shortly   :Whoohoo:

Do I stick with iTunes? It works on download, but can I stream?

I intend to buy a larger portable hard drive

But what route do you suggest for ripping, downloading and reasonable quality playback. Do I stick with iTunes ?

Although I have been on the web for a long ttime , and also have a nice record player, I consider myself a noob

Many thanks

Offline goldfritter

Re: iTUNES> TIME TO CHANGE. TOWHAT? HOW?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 08:23:25 AM »
I think your question is actually three questions in one.

1. Streaming music: iTunes itself does not offer this, but Apple does in the form of Apple Music. It's R 59.99/month to stream pretty much any song you can think of at fair quality (the equivalent of a high quality MP3 rip). There are many competing services. Spotify is by far the most popular worldwide. A lot of guys around here use Tidal HiFi for the higher audio quality, even though it is more expensive. All offer a try-before-you-buy option, so you can see which has the best value for you, and contracts are month-to-month so can be stopped any time with no repercussions. All offer "offline" listening, which saves the songs on your PC or phone so you don't need to re-stream each time, but you can then only play the songs from within their proprietary app.

2. Ripping from CD, library management, and playback of saved digital files: I don't know a lot about this. I think iTunes is fine for this for MP3 quality files. Higher quality (FLAC, etc.) is a bit of a black hole for me so I will let the more experienced guys answer here.

3. Buying music. You can still buy from iTunes, of course. You can also buy directly from the artist on Bandcamp. They will often offer FLAC quality files there. There are other sites to buy from, but again I defer to those with more experience.

Overall I would say, if you are not already operating within the high-bit-rate/lossless paradigm, and once your fibre is ready, try the streaming services and see if they fulfill your needs in terms of library and audio quality. If so, you will have a streamlined, unified solution for music on all devices (phone, PC, iPad, etc.).

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 09:03:27 AM »
Most available music streaming services offer a free 15 to 30 day trail...some of them even offer 3 month trials...some of them have a free tier albeit with limited functionality and short adverts between every 8 or so tracks...

Give them all a go and see what you prefer :thumbs:

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 09:10:33 AM »
You can only download Tidal music on a phone for offline listening, not on a computer (unless you intercept the audio).

https://www.tuneskit.com/record-audio/record-tidal-music.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/can-i-download-from-tidal?IR=T
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline Charl4e

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »
You can only download Tidal music on a phone for offline listening, not on a computer (unless you intercept the audio).

Ahh, thanks for confirming. I've been trying to get my hands on some Hi Rez audio without paying for something I own in other formats. I stream Apple Music and Tidal. Download from Tidal to iPhone means I can only Bluetooth it back to Limetree Network. I can find no ways of getting anything but the little green light lit on the Lindemann (PCM44.1kHz). Just wanted to "see" if I'd appreciate something more than PCM44.1
Unfortunately I cannot get iTunes 96kHz to the German streamer DAC.

Fiber plus iTunes (now lossless) or Tidal (HiFi) to streamer / DAC sounds pretty good though, just not as good as a proper CD player.

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 02:19:41 PM »
Ahh, thanks for confirming. I've been trying to get my hands on some Hi Rez audio without paying for something I own in other formats. I stream Apple Music and Tidal. Download from Tidal to iPhone means I can only Bluetooth it back to Limetree Network. I can find no ways of getting anything but the little green light lit on the Lindemann (PCM44.1kHz). Just wanted to "see" if I'd appreciate something more than PCM44.1
Unfortunately I cannot get iTunes 96kHz to the German streamer DAC.

Fiber plus iTunes (now lossless) or Tidal (HiFi) to streamer / DAC sounds pretty good though, just not as good as a proper CD player.

Are you using Tidal from your phone, or from a computer? Also stating the obvious, but Tidal master is only available via their native applications (and not the browser).

If from a phone, check your streaming settings in Tidal:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 02:26:48 PM by johan.pretorius »
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+174)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 04:09:03 PM »
For ripping CDs, nothing is better than dbPoweramp

You can tweak it quite a bit (adding DSP etc) and it very kindly looks up Metadata and artwork by itself.   It generally rips CDs at 5 to 8 times normal speed, so the job is over quickly

Just organise your filing system properly beforehand
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Online Tonteldoos

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 04:10:46 PM »
For 30 years or so I have loved my iPod , linked to iTunes on my Windows PC. I intend to keep the 30 or so GB on my new (10 yrs old) iPod Touch. I am now a pensioner in the sticks without corporate bandwidth and reliant on expensive Vodacom 4G
But fibre will be here shortly   :Whoohoo:

Do I stick with iTunes? It works on download, but can I stream?

I intend to buy a larger portable hard drive

But what route do you suggest for ripping, downloading and reasonable quality playback. Do I stick with iTunes ?

Couple of thoughts:

1) if you intend to keep your music collection, I would suggest stick to iTunes. Yes, there surely are other options, but you know this one. And with iTunes you can still rip CDs to any quality you like, even lossless, and store them in your library. Then your own music can be in your iTunes library, saved on your harddrive, and you can move it to your iPod as you see fit. I have experienced storage failure on iPods, so strongly suggest you do not use the iPod as your only storage.

2) To my knowledge, between iTunes, Spotify, Tidal, etc. - iTunes is the only one where you can rip and add your own music to your library. So aside from it being "the devil you know", it does offer slightly more flexibility.

3) Then, for streaming: The choices between Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal can become bewildering. Apple does now offer lossless streaming, download and playback. I use both Apple and Tidal, and I find that there is some music I can find on Apple, but not on Tidal. So since you know the Apple ecosystem, I don't think you're putting yourself at a disadvantage by staying there.

4) Lastly, with an Apple Music you can download to your heart's content to your devices, whether your phone app or to iTunes on your computer. BUT, you cannot transfer downloaded music from an Apple Music subscription to any iPod Classic. But since you have an iPod Touch - it should be ok, since it is also app-based.

In short - yes there are lots of options, but since you know Apple - just keep using iTunes with your iPod Touch, and add an Apple Music subscription once you get fibre.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 04:19:52 PM by Tonteldoos »

Offline Charl4e

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
Are you using Tidal from your phone, or from a computer? Also stating the obvious, but Tidal master is only available via their native applications (and not the browser).

Using the dedicated Lindemann app (on iPad and iPhone). All is set to stream highest resolution, but I now see the Limetree Network does not support MQA.
Streaming services include Tidal, but (quietly) never mentions MQA under supported codecs.
Apologies, getting off topic, comments appreciated though.

Offline CoryV

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 02:29:56 PM »
Thanks all, esp Tontgeldoos

Will i be able to load from Apple Music to iTunes?

Online Tonteldoos

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 04:02:51 PM »
Thanks all, esp Tontgeldoos

Will i be able to load from Apple Music to iTunes?

Yes. iTunes becomes the app you use on your computer to access Apple Music - so it's a "one stop shop". Here are some screenshots of what you can do and what to look out for.

It's probably best to sign up for Apple Music on your phone, and then you can log into your account from the menus in iTunes, and you'll see it there easily once you've added it in iTunes:

At the top, you can then navigate inside your own library, and it has a bunch of other sections where you can browse Apple Music content:

Once Apple Music is added, it has a nice feature where you can search for music either in your own library, or across the entire Apple Music library:

Once you find something you like in Apple Music, you can simply add it to your library. Once you've added it, it will appear in your library across all devices.

You can also choose to download it. The download option is specific to your device. For example, I download most music to my phone, but not to my PC.

Once you've added something to your library, you will clearly see it appear back in your library:

Finally, if you still have CDs that you want to convert, OR (like me) you originally converted them to lossy MP3, but want to change them to lossless, you simply change your settings under Preferences, like below. In the first screenshot below, you should also tick the top option "Apple Music Library" to Yes - that way it will store your library in iCloud and have it available across all devices.

HOWEVER..... there is so much available in Apple Music that I have not really bothered with converting CDs - there is no point. And now that you can stream and download in Apple Lossless... there is truly no point.

Offline roddy100

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 10:10:53 AM »
There is a six minute month free offer from MTN for Apple Music. Not sure if you can use that but donít miss it if you are on MTN network.

Offline jvr

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 07:54:45 PM »
Keep in mind Apple Music now also streams Apple Lossless and soon, hi res. This could be fully integrated with your existing iTunes library - as was pointed out. The old Touch / Pod versions are unfortunatly not compatible, but the more recent ones (with small pin connection) are. But, you could download iTunes on almost any device and use it from there.
Lend me your ears

Offline francois_27

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 05:32:53 PM »
Anyone here done an a/b test between Apple Lossless and Tidal MQA?

Online XL1000

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 06:02:46 PM »
Would you allow me to donate you an external HDD, I am sure between myself and @Francois we can fill the drive with a very nice selection of ALAC files and ripped CDís?
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato