Glue an old Philips bass driver dust cap

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zilch

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
So I recently got a very old pair of Philips speakers.  Philips RH496, from the late 60s.  Older than my dad :BWAHAHAH:

Anyway, upon close inspection, I discovered the dust cap had fallen off one of the bass drivers.  FEAR NOT!  I have many friends :giggle:

Thankfully, Dewald Visser knew what to do!  So I gave him a phone call, asking how I have to repair the driver.

Dewald recommended I use contact glue, and masking tape to hold the cap in place.  He explained the reason you want to use contact glue is in case you ever have to replace the surrounds or do something to the driver.  If you have to align the former when applying a new surround, it's useful to be able to access that little 'hatch'.  So to access it you use some alcohol to soften the contact glue, and then you can remove it.

Naturally, I never followed the latter part of the aforementioned instructions, as I never felt the need to replace the surrounds.

Before applying the glue, I'd recommend wiping the cone with a dry microfibre cloth, as I did.  It gets rid of unwanted dust and old debris.

You'll also want to align the dust cap in its original position.  This is to close any gaps and have it seal properly.

Anyway, I went on my merry way to applying the glue.  Dewald says to apply it directly to the rear of the dust cap only, straight from the nozzle.  He also says that you would rather have more glue, then too little.

Then what I did with the masking tape was (I think) pretty clever.  I spun it around my finger, with the glue side facing outwards.  Then stuck it against the dust cap.  Afterwards, I used another piece of masking tape so that when I hold it with my fingers, it doesn't stick to my fingers.

After I finished the job, I left everything as is for 24 hours.  Do not remove the masking tape, just leave it.  Only thing I did was put a bag of coins on the dust cap to have the glue make a better, tighter seal.

I think the end result is pretty impressive...

Latest posts