Author Topic: Whats on the TT...  (Read 980914 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Whats on the TT...
« Reply #8685 on: May 13, 2022, 09:49:02 PM »
Was going to go indie, then I remembered there is a ‘The Family’ documentary on TV later, to get into the right mind set I thought I’d go with a much more benign if similarly frazzled cult/sect/vegan restauranteurs making shed loads from hippies back in the hippie California era:

Father Yod (by then ‘Ya Ho Wha’) and YaHoWha13 (their names all ended with Aquarius) - The Operetta Yod He Vau He’ apparently recorded some time around 1975 but that is according to Isis Aquarius about 40 years later (she shipped the tapes to a UK freak brother after sending original vinyl releases in envelopes with a 50% destruction rate so not sure how good her memory was for dates)

Freakier than the Manson lot, groovier than Bobby Beausoliel’s Orkestra, nowhere near as able as the Dead but hypnotically funky none the less.  Seemingly recorded on a child’s Fischer Price tape recorder (but so were most things in Cali then). Yod has the worst voice ever but plays a mean gong, the rest of the band are astral tripping in the best possible way.

Father Yod sadly passed away in a bizarre hand gliding accident a few years later (ie.  He was convinced that he could just do it as he was Ya Ho Wha, apparently he couldn’t)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 09:57:29 PM by JonnyP »
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8686 on: May 13, 2022, 10:47:09 PM »
Realised too late that the Family doc is next Friday, just when I was properly getting into the YaHoWha13 groove.  So I’ve gone for their offshoot garage/acid rock/darn freaky thang:

Fire Water Air presents ‘Golden Sunrise’ by YaHoWha13 and Sky ‘Arelich Sunlight Aquarian’ Saxon (better known to most as the bloke from the Seeds)

A bit better sound quality wise, the band jam to the max with added phasing, and even Billy Corgan from Smashy Pumpy gets to add himself on one track (thankfully only the one - he really doesn’t get it).  Sky sounds just a little shot and a lot stoned but overall a quality release.  Great sleeve notes from Djin Aquarian and the classic YaHoWha13 line up of Pythias, Sunflower, Octavius and Djin groove tremendously.

Sample sleeve note (for the track ‘Voyage’) “…Tahuti is the prehistoric name for Thoth the Atlantian emissary of the 32 Pathway Tree of Life Conciousness and Egyptian Deity.”

Damn, the mung beans must have been something else in 1975

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8687 on: May 13, 2022, 11:19:37 PM »
Should have said this upfront but forgot, YaHoWha13 were the commune band for The Source Family/Restaurant set up by the aforementioned Father Yod (an ex-military guy who most definitely turned on, tuned in and made a lot of money).  It was apparently the hip joint at the time (John and Yoko, John and Mai, various other rock stars frequented) and they eventually relocated to Hawaii where Father Yod had his hubris busting hand glider accident.  As of the mid 2010s there was still some commune thang going on and a Brum record shop and label got to re-release a lot of their stuff.  Since then there has been at least one docu-film that was well regarded and a series recently on one of the streaming services (not seen either and don’t need to - just enjoying the music and the freakiness).

Think it’s time for some Timothy Leary (well, it is on Douglas records with Hendrix on guitar)

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8688 on: May 13, 2022, 11:26:35 PM »

What a gatefold:

Timothy Leary - This time around you can be anyone.

Douglas 1 US, the year isn’t on it but I’d guess somewhere around 1968 what with Liberty crapping acid onto his floating head (edit: 1970 apparently but most of the dialogue is wincingly 1968-1969)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:45:28 PM by JonnyP »

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8689 on: May 20, 2022, 08:58:22 PM »
This one does exactly what it says, then again, what it says is completely alien even to me:

New Age Doom/Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry - Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry’s Guide To The Universe

This is quite beyond either drone/jazz/dub and all the better for it.  I’ll admit that as a fan of Sunn O))) and various other drone makers out there the repeating lengthy monotones really do work, the free jazzy bits as well but how on Earth they got the Master of Dub/The Upsetter/The Godfather of Dub involved is beyond me.  Just total brilliance.

I do not even really have a comparison so the best I can offer is Sunn O))) meets Rockers Uptown!

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8690 on: May 20, 2022, 09:17:53 PM »

RIP Vangelis

Offline JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #8691 on: May 20, 2022, 09:36:48 PM »
So it seems I was the only poster on this thread for the week.  Oh well, just a reminder to anyone who is interested, the Manson documentary is supposedly on tonight (etv are sometimes a little dodgy on their other channels) so I will probably stick with the above - what could be more cultish and apocalyptic than a concept album based on the Book of Revelations? As in ‘a testament written by a syphilitic priest with access to hallucinogens’ to quote a Dr of Theology and Priest who I knew back in the day!!!

Offline FranZAR

« Reply #8692 on: May 21, 2022, 11:03:04 AM »
Australian Crawl
Sirocco
EMI Australia 2021

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Exclamé 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|SP10|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|AuraLic|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline naboo

« Reply #8693 on: May 21, 2022, 04:56:40 PM »
3 x hotness for a cold night.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Offline naboo

« Reply #8694 on: May 21, 2022, 05:37:04 PM »
Then a bit of new wave/serioussynth

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk