Author Topic: Whats on the TT...  (Read 703151 times)

Online JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Whats on the TT...
« Reply #7890 on: February 19, 2021, 10:23:36 PM »
Possibly my favourite album (well, until I play some Can):

Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance

Punk before punk, post before any post movements, the sound of the world crashing in on itself and waking up to the fact.  No solutions (unless you count their teen angst gone mad anthem), riding the bus for some kind of meaning (there is none), existentialism for the masses, and general all around mayhem.  What a wonderful album, and David Thomas is still one of the only artists I’ve met who I could not really talk to (I completely froze, unlike many others).  Did get a signed poster though!
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline VinylHead

« Reply #7891 on: February 21, 2021, 07:17:29 AM »

Bought at Street records Braamfontein, 1984

Been listening to too much streaming, but when this came up could only find cd quality, had to dig the record out.. Sssssoooo much better...

Awesome record.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:38:52 AM by VinylHead »

Online Trompie67

« Reply #7892 on: February 21, 2021, 08:37:59 AM »
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline Rnwza

« Reply #7893 on: February 21, 2021, 09:21:22 AM »

Great Aus band...for those who enjoy Motown/Otis Redding sort of sound, well worth checking out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Music is essentially useless. As life is." - George Santayana

Online Trompie67

« Reply #7894 on: February 21, 2021, 09:43:05 AM »
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

Offline Rnwza

« Reply #7895 on: February 21, 2021, 10:52:16 AM »

"Music is essentially useless. As life is." - George Santayana

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #7896 on: February 21, 2021, 12:07:52 PM »

Great Aus band...for those who enjoy Motown/Otis Redding sort of sound, well worth checking out...

They are superb. Much of my YouTube plays list is filled with the teskey bros

This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #7897 on: February 21, 2021, 12:10:06 PM »

2009 - US, Universal Motown - Kid Cudi, Man on the Moon: The end of day

This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #7898 on: February 21, 2021, 01:44:20 PM »

2017 - Germany, ECM - Anouar Brahem, Blue Maqams

Online JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7899 on: February 22, 2021, 10:13:53 PM »
What started out as a dream pop session (Insides - Euphoria, Guernica/4AD 1993) was put aside after a link to Toyah and Robert’s Sunday Lunch on YouTube (if you’ve not seen it, give it a go), so I switched genres:

King Crimson - In The Wake of Poseidon (UK pink Island label original)
King Crimson - Islands (US? Atlantic anyway)
Marillion - Fugazi (UK EMI)
Marillion - Script For A Jesters Tear (SA EMI - good pressing, shame they dropped the gatefold sleeve)

Online Trompie67

« Reply #7900 on: February 26, 2021, 01:43:30 PM »
Paul McCartney

Online Trompie67

« Reply #7901 on: February 26, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
Paul McCartney

Online Trompie67

« Reply #7902 on: February 26, 2021, 03:27:28 PM »
Paul McCartney

Online Trompie67

« Reply #7903 on: February 26, 2021, 04:15:39 PM »
Paul McCartney

Online JonnyP

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7904 on: February 26, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »
Last night was ‘obscurely German night’

Schmetterlinge - S/T in which the Austrian entry to the 1977 Eurovision Song Contest unleashed a compilation of earlier stuff on the eager for pop crap public.  Hippie communists sing folk/world/Dylan with a definite smell of sweat and patchouli and a hint of anarcho-communal living (unlike Amon Duul this lot went on to pop hits rather than Baader-Meinhof).  Has a bongo heavy cover of Shosholoza (Tschotsholossa) which works when they stop singing.  I’d also recommend watching their performance on the Eurovision which somehow manages to combine taking the Mickey out of the contest, Austria being confused with Australia, and a comment on the evils of Global Capitalism with a song and dance suited to its ridiculous title ‘Boom Boom Boomerang’.  Subversive and hilarious (and placed 12th, likely beating GB null point).

Triumvirat - Spartacus

Excessively prog, clearly influenced by ELP but actually pretty good.  Obviously a concept album about the slave who became a gladiator, had sexual tension plus oil with Tony Curtis (scratch that, that was the film), led a revolt and got them all crucified.  Yep, I’d write a rock Opera about that.

Mani Matter - I Han Es Zundholzli Azundt

Before anyone asks WTF? I have zero idea what he is singing about as it is Swiss-German so even my extremely basic German understanding cannot save me.  Sounds like a combination of folky kids songs and folky hidden meaning protest songs.  I bought it because it sounds good to my ears and is in a similar style to Witthuser and Westrupp, Degenhardt, and to an extent Ougenweide.  Or slightly less freaky English folk stuff.

Got a Mr Vinyl delivery this morning so it’ll probably be Mono live later (but if the mood takes me, maybe more German freakiness with Ougenweide and Oktober)