Author Topic: Glue Advice Required  (Read 262 times)

Offline Jozua_2019

Glue Advice Required
« on: June 10, 2021, 09:09:45 PM »
I need help.

I have varnished the internal panels of my speaker boxes to protect it from absorbing vapor.  Then I glued 4 mm rubber panels to the inside using Bostic Contact glue.

Today I noticed that what should have been a solid bond is just a tight bond and with a little but of pull,  the rubber panels can be pulled off.

Re-gluing is obvious.

Any advice re what product can be used to secure a strong bond ?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:11:58 PM by Jozua_2019 »

Offline DRNB

Re: Glue Advice Required
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 09:21:47 PM »
Last year my son needed to glue some rubber washers together, and then to a metal washer. Same issue, contact didn't stick, neither did silicon which I was certain would work. After a bit of googling, it turned out superglue was the anwer.
I guess on a larger surface it might not be a solution though?

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Glue Advice Required
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 09:29:52 PM »
Conveyor belting is glued with cyanoacrylate.  Pretty big surface typically. Just comes in 2 parts.
Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline Jozua_2019

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 09:42:22 PM »
Can this be found at the local hardware shop ?

Conveyor belting is glued with cyanoacrylate.  Pretty big surface typically. Just comes in 2 parts.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline marantz123

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • I learnt more from The Internet when it was slower
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 12:20:39 AM »
FWIW, a proper contact glue applied correctly should bond normal rubber to wood products quite solidly.  Silicone rubber however is a different animal...the only thing that sticks to silicone properly is..more silicone. If yours is not a silicone product then I suspect that you may not have applied the glue correctly... :be: .... apply sufficiently to both surfaces, allow to dry apart for 15min, then bring surfaces together with pressure to form an instant permanent bond ? (I recall being hopelessly unhappy with contact glue as a kid, could never get it to stick well until I read the instructions some years later finally learning how to use it).

If your rubber surface (glue side) is very smooth try roughening it up to help the glue adherence. I havn't used Bostik contact glue for ages. Been sticking to Genkem, Pattex and recently tried the Gelmar product which seems to be a bit thinner and darker but is quite good.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:26:28 AM by marantz123 »

Offline fredeb

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 05:43:53 AM »
It all depends on the type of rubber . If it's an open-cell neoprene rubber , a good quality contact glue will work . Just rough up the wood with 40 or 80 grit sandpaper first .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline 2wice

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 05:50:22 AM »
Commercially Xylene is used to thin contact glue for a primer.
If my music is too loud, yours is too soft. :p

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 06:51:11 AM »
The problem is guys, the box is varnished out in side, so there is a chemical brake down when the contact glue is applied to it. it's the same like when you putting contact glue on paint, the chemical in the glue starts eating in to the paint and the paint start peeling off, this the same story happing now with the varnish now, the the chemical in the glue is reacting with the varnished.

Something that will work \ maybe is Cornice adhesive from Glue Devil and Painters Mate / Acrylic Sealant. It's design to stick foam cornices to painted walls and you can paint over it. There is no chemical inside it that will eat the paint work. It's not so expensive. I have used in my boxes build the last few years and in my new build to seal of in side.

Other option like I showed you last night, is this one  ;D

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

It's really fun to scare people. (Sabine Schmitz 14.05.1969 - 15.03.2021) RIP

Offline oradba69

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 08:45:11 AM »
Just wanted to say. Staple gun.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
http://www.lerange.com

Offline SeanS

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 09:25:05 AM »
with the rubber/whatever added, does it actually make a noticeable / measurable diff.. is decent bracing / fill enough? I have used the car sound deadening / self adhesive panels (ready glued), they stick well but made no diff. Same with painting on copious amounts of rubber gook, and also have doubts about the merits of dog blanket in the bass cabinet. Midrange is another thing.

Cab fill you can measure the diff not so much stick on stuff, an option is to measure and see if you have anything that you think needs fixing and concentrate there.