Author Topic: Gumtree Delivery - How to respond when items are not delivered  (Read 371 times)

Offline santoshlv426

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
I placed an order recently to a private seller on Gumtree. After 2 days it appeared to be a scam and various excuses were made as to why they couldn't send the items - and this after payment.
I took this very seriously (R1750 was the value) and engaged Gumtree, FNB (my bank) which made contact (fraud) to their bank Capitec and even opened a case of fraud with the police as a case number is needed for the bank anyway - needless to say  I didn't expect the police to do much.

Then 2 days later, they sent the items this after Gumtree suspended their account.

this is the first I've experienced this. How is it possible if at all to mitigate such frauds or is it a case buyer beware - ultimately we are taking a risk ?

If Escrow was a possibility and cheap to warrant, I'd do it that way but we're not talking multi million dollar deals here.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
Re: Gumtree Delivery - How to respond when items are not delivered
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 05:10:15 PM »
I had a similar occurance, except mine was much more.  I had  booked the courier to collect with instructions to call ahead prior to collection.  The phone was not answered

Reported it to Capitec who asked for a SAPS case number

Went to the SAPS with proof of payment, some emails and the seller's details.  The detective listened to the story and examined the documents.  Then she called the seller and really gave it stick.  She put it on speaker and told me not to say anything.   I could hear the seller's resolve wavering.  What seemed to clinch it was when she said she would immediately call the SAPS station closest to where the seller lived and have him brought in for questioning, and this might take some time

To resolve it, he was to phone the courier co right away and the detective would also call them in 15 mins to make sure a collection had been arranged

This was done and TCG confirmed they were due to collect that day

I was able to see from the tracking number that it had been collected

Nevertheless, the detective phoned the seller again and told him that if his name and number came up on a complaint ever again, he would be brought in for a lengthy interview

I bought the detective a box of chocolates and suggested she share it with the office
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 05:29:33 PM »
Think people mentioned an escrow service of sorts on here before.  IIRC it had shepherd in the name?
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »
100% correct - here is the link
https://www.gumtree.co.za/pages/shepherd/
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 09:39:45 PM »
Went to the SAPS with proof of payment, some emails and the seller's details.  The detective listened to the story and examined the documents.  Then she called the seller and really gave it stick.  She put it on speaker and told me not to say anything.   I could hear the seller's resolve wavering.  What seemed to clinch it was when she said she would immediately call the SAPS station closest to where the seller lived and have him brought in for questioning, and this might take some time
To resolve it, he was to phone the courier co right away and the detective would also call them in 15 mins to make sure a collection had been arranged
This was done and TCG confirmed they were due to collect that day
I was able to see from the tracking number that it had been collected
Nevertheless, the detective phoned the seller again and told him that if his name and number came up on a complaint ever again, he would be brought in for a lengthy interview
I bought the detective a box of chocolates and suggested she share it with the office

That is both hilarious & impressive!

& you sit there in the rubble, till it starts to feel like home
mary gauthier

Offline santoshlv426

• AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 09:59:22 PM »
That is impressive.
But we cant keep taking such risks.
At some point we'll lose.
BoB is okay as it has protection offered by the platform.
Not a  easy solution  I'll check Shepard
Thanks guys

Offline johan.pretorius

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • more signal, less noise
    • My vinyl feed on Instagram
Gumtree Delivery - How to respond when items are not delivered
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:12:57 PM »
BoB (Bid or Buy) has never let me down, I bought most of these Breyten Breytenbach books via BoB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:41:57 PM by johan.pretorius »
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline Trashy

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 10:29:11 PM »
I have been a long time member on the local cycling forum, which also has a very active classifieds section.

They have recently introduced their own escrow service which works seamlessly.
2 weeks ago I bought a bicycle across country, going only on pictures and the seller's description.
I paid, he shipped the bike, and once I had received it and inspected it, released the payment to him.

Peace of mind for both of us and made the whole transaction stress free.

I think in time doing deals like this will become the norm as there are too many chancers around.

Offline Vince MacMahon

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • One Life...Live It
Gumtree Delivery - How to respond when items are not delivered
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 06:54:17 AM »
Well done on speedy action for corrective action.

I lost interest in AV purchases after a big deal went south (online long distance purchase)

Took a lot out of me to sort things out, 7 months later still at it, Atleast close to the finish line…..the unpaid items (stress, anxiety, sleepless nights, follow up energy, data, airtime and petrol, time taken, etc.) are emotionally and physically taxing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:56:32 AM by Vince MacMahon »
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 08:24:08 AM »
In the co-man section is the story of one Lloyd Brink, who has taken several readers here and the 4X4 Forum for various amounts

He opens a Capitec acc with fake documents, does a few transactions and abandons the account.   The forensic lady at Capitec wishes that they could compare fingerprints nationally, as this would give them advance warning.  They have 22 incidents on record

He flits around the country, from Port Shepstone to Malmesbury, but all small towns

Offline santoshlv426

• AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 09:17:08 AM »
Seems like Capitec is the preferred bank for nefarious account holders.
When FNB contacted Capitec to reverse the R1750 I paid they were informed that the account had been drained - in 1n working day !! Once that happens there's noting they cn do

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
You can drain an account in 5 mins.  Mobile banking makes it easy, although there is always a paper-trail

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 05:15:09 PM »
In the co-man section is the story of one Lloyd Brink, who has taken several readers here and the 4X4 Forum for various amounts

He opens a Capitec acc with fake documents, does a few transactions and abandons the account.   The forensic lady at Capitec wishes that they could compare fingerprints nationally, as this would give them advance warning.  They have 22 incidents on record

He flits around the country, from Port Shepstone to Malmesbury, but all small towns

As far as I know, they can compare fingerprints via the home affairs database.  At one point all the banks had the electronic readers.  So opening an account would require electronic versions of the fingerprints which could potentially be compared to the home affairs database (admittedly, pre- digital ID would not be possible to check this way).  If Capitec used the electronic capture system they could identify him at the time.  They also have cameras so it should not be beyond their capability to alert other branches with photos of him.

The next will be the likes of Tyme Bank for sure.
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....