What Hi-Fi, what rubbish!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I used to read What Hi-Fi religiously back in the day but thankfully outgrew it.

I decided to pick up a copy at the station on my way to Sweden over the weekend because I saw they had a group test with the new KEF 300's vs Monitor Audio Silver RX1s and B&W 685s.

Paging through the magazine I was reminded of why I stopped. What a load of rubbish! I won't even go into the dodgy nature of their mainstream product reviews but just point out some of the more obviously ridiculous categories they review.

Lets take a look at an HDMI cable review from the Feb issue:

Lindy Premium (?20 a metre)

"Compared with QEDs mighty new Profile cable, which lacks ethernet, but boasts a detailed and punchy delivery of both picture and sound. The Lindy lacks bite and conviction. It's pictures are watchable, just not as crisp or insightful, and audio flows nicely, but lacks any dynamism or attack."

What Hi-FI on the system improving qualities of TV stands:

"With a suitable hi-fi in situ, you'll enjoy deep, agile bass, a more open and expressive midrange, and treble that never sounds harsh."

"This is a fast paced wooden rack that will give your kit a full, expressive sound along with a wide soundstage. Detailing here is also more than capable..."

How about mains cables/plugs?

"It adds clarity, but some might not like the leaner sound."

"Lacks the excitement and dynamism of similarly priced leads."

"Well balanced, delivering impressive depth and scale with both AV and hi-fi."

Unbelieveable, the balls on these guys.

Latest posts