Author Topic: Review: HEDD Audio HEDDphone – Pure Pristine Power  (Read 1301 times)

Offline kamikazi

Re: Review: HEDD Audio HEDDphone – Pure Pristine Power
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 12:49:33 PM »
@gLer, awesome, thank you for the detailed answers and comparisons, it gives very valuable context for the review and for the comparisons! From @Scubadude's curt response I gather that pointed questions such as these are not really appreciated on the forum, so I do apologise for my rudeness in that regard. I'm not familiar with your audio writing and/or preferences so thank you to those that pointed this out.

I am genuinely interested in these headphones and have been researching these since becoming aware of their release and have been attempting to figure out whether the question regarding fit are deal breakers. I doubt it is as much the weight, rather than the clamping force I'm concerned about that I have seen highlighted by other owner impressions that they could not deal with. That you reviewed this headphone for an extended period of time over a single day does give good validation and feedback in terms of comfort so perhaps it is not as bad as I feared, but a longer term impression would be even more ideal. From the description of their sonic characteristics they do seem ideal.

Bringing in the topic of studio monitors is perhaps not fair, but it relates more to my current situation where I am interested in either replacing my 10 year old headphone with a TOTL headphone or my current bookshelf speakers with new studio monitors or a Harbeth/Proac LS3/5a. So from there my focus on both, it just seems like there is higher emphasis on value for money with the latter but I digress that it is perhaps not fair to bring that into the discussion, but rather purely focus on their sonic merits in their own respective categories. I do, however, think it is quite clear that there are significant differences in how pricing is established and influenced in both.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 01:08:32 PM by kamikazi »

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »
Lumuos, any chance you will be willing to set up a "HEDD morning" in Cape Town?
I am sure there are a few of us in Cape Town keen to experience these. You may even secure a sale or two.

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 03:32:52 PM »
Hi Drifter. That’s an excellent idea and something we plan on setting up as soon as we are through the third wave.

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 03:36:18 PM »
Hi Drifter. That’s an excellent idea and something we plan on setting up as soon as we are through the third wave.

Excellent.

Offline dingeth

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 07:24:51 PM »

Sweet, I'm there! Would also be really keen on demoing a pair of Aryas if possible as well (hint hint) lol

Audio Noob

Offline dingeth

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 07:29:14 PM »

1. Just for curiosity's sake @gLer will you be buying this headphone or not? Thanks for the effort for reviewing this.

No, I won't, not in the immediate future anyway. The reason is simple: I've switched over entirely from high-end desktop listening (full size headphones) to high-end IEMs. Sold all my headphones (LCD-3, Auteur, and HD800, along with my Audio-gd R-28 amp/dac which would have easily driven the HEDD too). Hypothetically speaking, if I were to get back into headphones right now, this is the first headphone I'd buy, no question. I'll give brief one-line comparisons below between the HEDD and the headphones I A/B listened to alongside it in case you're interested).

Hi @gLer , out of curiosity what are you finding in high end iems that you aren't getting from headphones? Is it a matter of technicalities or simply comfort (and maybe convenience?)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 07:43:37 PM by dingeth »
Audio Noob

Offline gLer

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 10:37:23 AM »
Hi @gLer , out of curiosity what are you finding in high end iems that you aren't getting from headphones? Is it a matter of technicalities or simply comfort (and maybe convenience?)
Hi @dingeth, my switch to IEMs was initially made not for sound quality (as in I wasn't 'missing' anything from my desktop system) but for convenience. Since I'm no longer chained to my desk most days, I tend to enjoy listening to music on the couch or in bed, which is practically impossible with my headphone system which was tethered to the desk along with the giant amp/DAC and computer. Now that I've climbed pretty far up the IEM ladder I've probably surpassed the SQ of my desktop headphones, plus I find the IEMs I've settled on very comfortable for long listening sessions (though again that was never an issue with the HD800). But the most valuable part of the switch, for me, is simplicity. I no longer have big boxes, long cables and power issues to fuss with, and since I was never much of a 'source' guy, this suits me very nicely. IEM + DAP and I'm in sonic heaven anywhere I choose to listen.

All that said, if one day I set up a listening room (for speakers), I'll probably add a good headphone to the mix because I do enjoy listening to headphones, and physically they can do things no IEM can in terms of sheer sound size. If y'all are having a Cape Town day with Lumous I'd love to join, meet everyone, and I may even bring the IEMs along if you like so you can try them out. 
In Pursuit of Head-Fi Perfection
Views and reviews at www.theheadonist.com
Follow me on facebook.com/liketheheadonist

Offline dingeth

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 11:53:39 AM »
Hi @dingeth, my switch to IEMs was initially made not for sound quality (as in I wasn't 'missing' anything from my desktop system) but for convenience. Since I'm no longer chained to my desk most days, I tend to enjoy listening to music on the couch or in bed, which is practically impossible with my headphone system which was tethered to the desk along with the giant amp/DAC and computer. Now that I've climbed pretty far up the IEM ladder I've probably surpassed the SQ of my desktop headphones, plus I find the IEMs I've settled on very comfortable for long listening sessions (though again that was never an issue with the HD800). But the most valuable part of the switch, for me, is simplicity. I no longer have big boxes, long cables and power issues to fuss with, and since I was never much of a 'source' guy, this suits me very nicely. IEM + DAP and I'm in sonic heaven anywhere I choose to listen.

All that said, if one day I set up a listening room (for speakers), I'll probably add a good headphone to the mix because I do enjoy listening to headphones, and physically they can do things no IEM can in terms of sheer sound size. If y'all are having a Cape Town day with Lumous I'd love to join, meet everyone, and I may even bring the IEMs along if you like so you can try them out.

Thanks for the detailed response, interesting read and much appreciated.

A meet and greet sounds great, will definitely be something to look forward to when the time comes.
Audio Noob

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2021, 03:12:46 PM »
Congrats @gLer ! I see your review has been listed as a feature article on the head-fi.org home page!

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2021, 04:53:53 PM »
And well done for linking to Lumous Audio not once but twice in the review...won't be long now before you get your first overseas order!  :thumbs:

Offline ron g

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »

considering the power of his words, one has to wonder if gl'er shouldn't be in advertising.  :thinking: :thinking:

great review, & congratulations on the head fi feature. :dop: :dop:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 06:34:19 PM by ron g »
& you sit there in the rubble, till it starts to feel like home
mary gauthier