Author Topic: Removing the fabric/foam from the front of headphone drivers  (Read 297 times)

Offline Crankshaft

I like the increase resolution and clarity that result from removing the thick fabric/foam layer that sits between the drivers and one's ears.

Checking out this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-mod-thread.796360/

Any suggestions on what could be used as a thinner, more acoustically transparent substitute?
I don't like the drivers being vulnerable to damage if left exposed.

Offline bowlOfOats

Re: Removing the fabric/foam from the front of headphone drivers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 12:41:09 PM »
In the past I've used some viscose pantyhose to cover the driver without dampening it.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
Good idea.  Thank you.

In the past I've used some viscose pantyhose to cover the driver without dampening it.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 01:28:49 PM »
Just be mindful that some of these layers could be to keep oils from your skin out of the headphone driver and would therefore offer protection to the headphone driver. I've used pantyhose in the past to substitute the outer grills before, but I would be careful to do that on the inside if the headphone. It generally works well, but eventually you have to replace it as it starts tearing if stretched for too long.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 01:37:50 PM »
Speaker fabric may be a better idea.

I may have to put a ring of thicker material around the perimeter as the thickness of the original foam/fabric covers holds the drivers in place.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 09:23:39 AM »
I removed the padding from the earphones early this morning:

Wow, the veils are lifted - this is the sound I was hoping for when I first purchased these cans.

I guess is that as the DT1770 are professional headphones, they may well get used in adverse conditions:  Setting up a gig in the rain or on a sweat-drenched head.  The thick foam/fabric pads are there tp protect the drivers.

At home I reckon there should be no need for this layer of protection;  although I will add a layer of thin speaker grill fabric as the naked white drivers are visually distracting and there is still the possibility of them being blemished.

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 10:01:52 AM »
This foam is used on all the Beyerdynamic headphones including the consumer models.

From the web site

https://global.beyerdynamic.com/foam-disc-new.html

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 10:04:52 AM »
Noted.

However, the sound withoutthe foam-disc is so much better to my ears.

This foam is used on all the Beyerdynamic headphones including the consumer models.

From the web site

https://global.beyerdynamic.com/foam-disc-new.html

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 10:10:57 AM »
Next question:

Following a recommendation on diyaudio.com, I tried a pair of DT770 pads on the DT1770.

The DT770 pads are a bit thicker with a slightly larger ear opening.
Sound-wise, they seem fine - Different, although with my limited testing time, I have not get put my finger on exactly how the sound has changed.

The big difference between the DT1770 and DT770 pads is in the inner plastic (dense foam) rings.  The DT1770 is 'solid' and the DT770 is perforated.

Any ideas as to why they are designed this way?

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 10:19:37 AM »
You should have received 2 different ear cushion sets with your headphones.  They are specifically designed to provide differing sound characteristics with the velour pad being slightly open so better imaging but less isolation.

770 pads will give a different character but I have no idea what the change will be.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 10:34:08 AM »
Yes, I received a pair of velour and a pair of pleather/fake-leather pads with the headphones.

Will have to do more listening / comparing of the DT1770 and DT770 velour's.

I hope I don't to succumb to covering the perforations with little stickers in a pattern based on a Fibonacci series!

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 01:00:52 PM »
Speaker fabric may be a better idea.

I've used this on Sennheiser HD600/HD650 to replace rotten earcup liners.  Works like a charm.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass