Electric Motors Explained and Help

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStephens

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Electric Motors Explained and Help

On this subject my knowledge is absolutely non-existent. As these forums have a large DIY community and many people in fields of engineering I thought I would seek help.

I’m trying to breathe life into this fan. (See picture below) This circa 1910 Saracen Tank carefully disguised as a fan weighs in at 15 kilograms, boasts a variable speed control, side to side movement, beautifully milled brass gears and copper blades.

I spent my last weekend getting the armature shaft to move (that and constant flow of homework actually). As with time the grease had turned to tar and the phosphor-bronze bearing had long swelled locking the shaft in place. After much careful work homing the shaft the armature now spins freely. However to my horror when it was reassembled it did nothing.

The armature which was dead in the middle of that magnet mess (pictured) could move freely, but nothing happened.  I fear this is a case of motor burnout. However as I plugged it in it began to hum. This hum increased rapidly (within 10 seconds) to the point it was easily audible from the plug which was two meters away. Is the hum a good or bad sign? Should I plug it in and try the blades giving the motor a helping hand? (I have tried this, but have been extremely cautious because of the hum)

Secondly do AC motors have a live and a neutral? Does it matter which way it has been wired up? How would I know?

Lastly if it comes to rewinding what is the best way forward? I think the picture makes it clear that they are four of these coils. Is there a way to test them to see which work? Could I wind a new coil? Is it something that is that complicated? (or at least with regards to a fan) Perhaps Mr. JimGore needs to tell us how this differs from the stuff he winds.

Time is something every high school pupil has on their hands, whether they think so or not. Money is something that every high school pupil doesn’t have whether they think so or not.

Attachments

• P1040789.JPG
    P1040789.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 99
  • P1040793.JPG
    P1040793.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P1040791.JPG
    P1040791.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 99
  • P1040792.JPG
    P1040792.JPG