Best video/sound option for media PC

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma_2k4

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey all,

I installed my new AVR last night and WOW! A full thread will follow....

However, I am having difficulties getting my surround sound to work correctly, either thru digital co-ax connections or the analogue inputs.

PC is a Core 2 Duo 2.1 media machine. GFX card is a 9600 GT with a VGA and DVI output. Sound card is a creative X-Fi Extreme Audio. AVR is an Onkyo NR808.

Sound Issues:
1. I cannot get surround sound out of the AVR, all I get is stereo processed into full surround when using the analogue inputs. I've tried each and every single audio processing option. Also, I am fully aware that the analogue inputs are only used when the AVR is set to BD/DVD input (input 1)
2. Same as above but with digital output thru the co-ax cable. When I do sound tests to test Dolby digital capabilities then the surround works perfectly but I get no sound when clicking the sub, centre, or surround speakers in the sound options (ie. they should play a test tone)

Video Issues:
1. I cannot get the AVR or TV to recognize the video output from the PC when using either a DVI to HDMI or VGA to HDMI cable... very strange (same as a previous thread I made about the issue).
2. The AVR has a PC input (VGA cable) but I cannot get any of the inputs to select the VGA input and then transmit thru the HDMI...?

I have scoured the manual completely and followed all relevant instructions all without success.

SO, I was thinking, to solve myself all these issues and hassle, why don't I just get a decent entry level GFX card that can handle HDMI and Audio thru HDMI, then I can big the current GFX card and sound card (which admittedly is crap, the AVR's DAC sounds better). Any suggestions as to what card can do this best for the least amount of bucks?