Audio and Video Talk > Computers & Networking

Kodi: No Linux Love

(1/4) > >>

BobTheBuilder:
Hi Everyone,

As of late, I have the feeling that the Kodi Linux implementation is not receiving a lot of love. I have a lot of unresolved bugs that have been present for some time now (especially the sleep mode bug which is really annoying). Problem is that I'm not a huge MS fan and would like to stick to Linux. Now that I'm slowly getting various parts of my "audio chain" sorted this is one of the last problem areas. Here then is the question: what else can I use in place of Kodi that has similar functionality. By functionality I mean:
1. Library with metadata of videos.
2. Library with metadata of audio.
3. Support for lossless and lossy formats.
4. Ability to use other services (Youtube, RedbullTV, etc) as plug-ins is nice to have but not a need to have.
5. Works under Linux (can be any Ubuntu flavour).

I've tried Roon on a trial basis but the cost is fairly steep.

All suggestions and flames are welcome.

Juggy:

--- Quote from: BobTheBuilder on May 10, 2021, 08:14:41 AM ---Hi Everyone,

As of late, I have the feeling that the Kodi Linux implementation is not receiving a lot of love. I have a lot of unresolved bugs that have been present for some time now (especially the sleep mode bug which is really annoying). Problem is that I'm not a huge MS fan and would like to stick to Linux. Now that I'm slowly getting various parts of my "audio chain" sorted this is one of the last problem areas. Here then is the question: what else can I use in place of Kodi that has similar functionality. By functionality I mean:
1. Library with metadata of videos.
2. Library with metadata of audio.
3. Support for lossless and lossy formats.
4. Ability to use other services (Youtube, RedbullTV, etc) as plug-ins is nice to have but not a need to have.
5. Works under Linux (can be any Ubuntu flavour).

I've tried Roon on a trial basis but the cost is fairly steep.

All suggestions and flames are welcome.

--- End quote ---

If you really like Kodi have you tried Openelec?

https://openelec.tv/

Larry:
Is Plex not an option?

Super easy and free, Linux and Windows options, but it does work on Ubuntu apparently.

https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/

chrisc:
JRiver Media Center works 100% on Linux.   I'd suggest Linux Studio for a pared down version of the OS with the emphasis on music

BobTheBuilder:

--- Quote from: Juggy on May 10, 2021, 08:56:17 AM ---If you really like Kodi have you tried Openelec?

https://openelec.tv/

--- End quote ---

I have tried OpenElec in the past but was not overly impressed. It is effectively Kodi in a can, with enough limitations on the OS to make me hesitant. Admittedly I tried it on Pi3 and Pi2 quite some time ago. I wonder how it would fare on my NUC? I actually run an OSMC install on a Pi3 for the kids to use. Maybe I'll give OpenElec a whirl again on the Pi. The pain of setting up all my sources again and fighting with SMB does fill me with dread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version