Open Chat > Open Talk

TV display acting up

(1/5) > >>

Dumb and Dumber:
I did notice at first but did not think much of it at the time. But now i am sure. My TV's image is darker at the top third of the screen than the rest of the screen. I am 99% sure this started after the TV updated. When I switch on the TV it shows my YouTube username and buttons for all the apps like Netflix etc for a few seconds before the screen shows full picture. It did not do this before the update. It started about Monday this week.
Could it be that the update messed up my TV? How do one fix this? Can I reverse the update? 
Its a  LG 65 inch with Webos as operating system.

marantz123:
If I were to guess, possibly the upper backlight strip has failed. If its an LED backlight,  the LEDS are wired in series/parallel combinations (per strip). Should a single LED fail in a series section then that series section fails to light up. (Each brand to its own design/configuration). Once an entire strip fails it would be easier to notice a horizontal segment (bottom middle or top) darker than the sections where the backlight is working. I would suspect this first, and not caused by the upgrade. If still under warranty, the repair would be covered otherwise if an older TV, there are quite a few repair people in that industry. (TV repair industry still lives on!)

I repaired a 42" Samsung with a failed backlight, replaced about 13 LEDS on the 5 strips, however the supply voltage (higher than spec) was causing the LEDs to blow.

Dumb and Dumber:

--- Quote from: marantz123 on May 05, 2021, 09:25:22 PM ---If I were to guess, possibly the upper backlight strip has failed. If its an LED backlight,  the LEDS are wired in series/parallel combinations (per strip). Should a single LED fail in a series section then that series section fails to light up. (Each brand to its own design/configuration). Once an entire strip fails it would be easier to notice a horizontal segment (bottom middle or top) darker than the sections where the backlight is working. I would suspect this first, and not caused by the upgrade. If still under warranty, the repair would be covered otherwise if an older TV, there are quite a few repair people in that industry. (TV repair industry still lives on!)

I repaired a 42" Samsung with a failed backlight, replaced about 13 LEDS on the 5 strips, however the supply voltage (higher than spec) was causing the LEDs to blow.

--- End quote ---

Thanks
About what repair costs am I looking at?

marantz123:
If it is backlight related, anything less than a few hundred Rand if an easy DIY repair upwards to new LED strips or possibly a faulty supply board which only a repairer could quote on, but a ballpark figure there of R1500 more or less depending whats needed.

Dumb and Dumber:

--- Quote from: marantz123 on May 06, 2021, 01:39:47 PM ---If it is backlight related, anything less than a few hundred Rand if an easy DIY repair upwards to new LED strips or possibly a faulty supply board which only a repairer could quote on, but a ballpark figure there of R1500 more or less depending whats needed.

--- End quote ---

To me it also sounds like it must be the LEDs. I got a quote. I was told its the power supply. If it can be fixed I'm looking at R2500, at a minimum.  If it must be replaced, much more.
I wonder if all the power failures over the years contributed? If the power trips while the TV was on, the TV will switch on automatically when the power comes on again. That surge of power cannot be good.
I will when the power goes off from now plug out most of my appliances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version