Author Topic: Help - HDD Crash !  (Read 2080 times)

Offline santoshlv426

Help - HDD Crash !
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:52:11 AM »
Situation : Imation 320GB drive isn't working. Just happend 2 days ago. I didn't drop it or anything. It worked one minute and unreadable the next. I hear a repetitive tick inside. Dreaded click of death.
I have sseen the thousands charged for data recovery and the info isn't worth that much. Just sentimental info.
Can ANYONE help ?
I'm in Centurion and will gladly drive thru if anyone can take a look.
Thanks
Santosh

Offline Skeeter

Re: Re: Help - HDD Crash !
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:30:16 AM »
There is no magical fix for these things...you can try freezing your hard drive to get 10 minutes out of it. Google the procedure because I have not done it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline kamikazi

Re: Help - HDD Crash !
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
My portable USB hard drive makes funny ticking noises when I put it into a underpowered USB port or when too many USB devices are connected.

I assume this is also a USB device? Try removing USB devices and use different USB ports and see if it changes anything. Otherwise it is most likely a hard drive crash unfortunately. See if Imation has a diagnostic utility that can tell you if anything is wrong with it.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 12:41:05 PM »
There is a guy on the My Broadband forums that does data receovery at a reasonable price. I forget his name but you could as around.

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Account Locked
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • R.I.P. August 2020
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:50:20 PM »
I've had a couple of external HDD's stop functioning on me over the years and every time it was the box's usb or firewire electronics that went faulty.
Open it up, take out the drive and take it to any competent computer shop. Ask them for a suitable external hard drive enclosure - usually a couple of hundred rand - ask them to test your drive in it. If it works, buy it... prob solved.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »
I think some of those external HDD have sealed casings though which might be difficult to open.. All of those HDDs use standard interfaces though, so I guess you should even be able to connect it to a standard PC.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »
Nothing is sealed so well that it can't be opened somehow;)

And yes, the SATA interface is standard across all SATA drives, laptop or desktop. The IDE interface however is different on each and requires an adapter if you want to connect a laptop IDE drive to a standard machine.

If you need to I suggest the Vantec HDD Adapter -> http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/266

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
Well this thing is dead.
Santosh

Offline Stu

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »
There is no magical fix for these things...you can try freezing your hard drive to get 10 minutes out of it. Google the procedure because I have not done it.

I had a drive die on me a few years back (also making a clicking sound) and someone suggested I try this. I laughed at the idea but had nothing to loose so I tried it. Put the drive in a ziplock bag, left it in the freezer for a few hours and plugged it in. I couldn't believe it when the drive started up and I could copy my important files off it.

I now know to back up anything important. I have 3 copies of all my photos now. 1 on my home pc, 1 on a external and on on my work PC in case there is a fire at home or my PC and External are stolen.

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:05:03 AM »

I now know to back up anything important.

Thats the key :D
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?