Author Topic: Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 600ohm  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 600ohm
« on: April 30, 2021, 01:12:25 PM »
Anyone here use these Beyers? Thoughts please if you do.
Seems like folks prefer them (semi-open) to the DT990 (open).

Also, I wonder how much more difficult they would be to drive compared to the 250ohm versions of the Beyer headphones.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• R.I.P.
  • Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 600ohm
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 01:15:52 PM »
Me

I like them a lot. 

250 to 600 is a substantial difference in drive requirements.
Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudi

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 01:25:30 PM »
Ta

They look mightily inviting.

Its my birthday mid-May.

Just saying  :whistler:

Offline rockmeister

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 02:09:23 PM »
Hi i have a pair of 880 600 ohm for sale great cans these probably have 2 hours on them

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Recovering gear addict.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 01:17:26 PM »
Me

I like them a lot. 

Does and OTL tube work?

Offline Ummagumma

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 03:19:03 PM »
I have a sale on them for forum members only https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,94195.0.html
For long you live and high you fly. The smiles you give the tears you cry. And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Offline Zilch

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 03:57:07 PM »
Me

I like them a lot. 

@Hi-Phibian how do the two compare?  They do seem like good bang for the buck.
If you don't understand the difference between "their", " there" and "they're" then your a idiot.

Offline Zilch

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 04:04:28 PM »
Does and OTL tube work?

I looked at the 600 ohm variant of the 990.  They can (most likely) be directly coupled to this amp...
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/Siemens-EL86/EL86.htm

Karel Mars can easily build custom transformers and chokes for the above^^^
If you don't understand the difference between "their", " there" and "they're" then your a idiot.

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 04:13:24 PM »
I have a sale on them for forum members only https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,94195.0.html

With all due respect and all of that stuff, there is no way those prices can be right.

So a set of DT880 is R5100 - that is crazy?

Below is a screenshot of my Amazon order that I placed on 1 May straight from the Beyerdynamics store. I paid R3,805 incl priority shipping to my door. Why on earth would I pay R1,300 more plus another R150 to get it delivered to me?
Surely whomever is the official importer for Beyer get 50% (or more) off the retail price from the factory, keep 30% margin for themselves and have their retailer network take another 20% which results in the product in SA to be sold at exactly the same price level as internationally?

Offline Zilch

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 04:17:24 PM »

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 04:25:32 PM »
@Drifter on Thomann it can work out even cheaper...
https://thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt_880_edition_600_ohms.htm

Had to get some other stuff for family members from Amazon so decided to add these as birthday gift to myself as I saved a bit on combined shipping costs.
That is a good price at Thomann. Works out around R500 cheaper on the headphones - just depends on whether they will ship internationally and what that will cost.

Offline Ummagumma

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 05:05:20 PM »
With all due respect and all of that stuff, there is no way those prices can be right.
Well at least I can try to be the cheapest in SA, will have to pay in to be the cheapest on the net. I hope you enjoy that birthday present, it's a great buy :groovy:

Below is a screenshot of my Amazon order that I placed on 1 May straight from the Beyerdynamics store. I paid R3,805 incl priority shipping to my door. Why on earth would I pay R1,300 more plus another R150 to get it delivered to me?
Surely whomever is the official importer for Beyer get 50% (or more) off the retail price from the factory, keep 30% margin for themselves and have their retailer network take another 20% which results in the product in SA to be sold at exactly the same price level as internationally?

For long you live and high you fly. The smiles you give the tears you cry. And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Offline Ummagumma

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 05:09:00 PM »
Sorry don't know what happened there. Comes from typing on a phone while the cat and the kids are trying to sit on my lap. That is a great price, we in SA can't compete with that. Great buy hope you enjoy your birthday present  :groovy:

Offline Sound_Hound_SA

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 07:00:33 PM »

I sell the same product and unfortunately this where the big guns like Amazon and Takealot are killing smaller retailers,  their buying power is larger than what we can afford, essentially they are able to buy in bulk and sell for less. In the case of DT880 in this screenshot it comes direct from the supplier and there is no middle man to make a commission hence the overall lower price. Savvy buyers know where to shop and how to shop to get what they want. Not to mention our Poor Rand vs the Dollar, if it was 1:1 no single soul in SA would be shopping on Amazon.

The problem is their is zero governance on big brands as to where they are allowed to sell and where the buck should end, sadly pricing is always crucified to shreds due to this and Amazon is taking a good chunk of local sales and that is widely known for lower priced items where customs are not asking for almost double the price. Sure support amazon for these kind of sales but the pain comes in when there is a fault on the unit, the local suppliers do not take on items under their warranty policy if it was not purchased within SA.

A lot of guys jump through loop holes to bring in items via, ebay, amazon, bangGood and Alibaba and rave about their savings, but come time to send the items back for warranty no one ever wants to share those horrible experiences

In a nutshell support the local guys, when you require higher end that will cost you double in Price to ship from international shores, we are always willing to dish out good discounts.
www.stponline.co.za
We supply a variety of AV Equipment, ranging from KEF, NAD, Bluesound, PSB, Dali, Klipsch, Polk, Jamo, Optoma, Epson, Edifier, Rega, Pro-Ject, etc

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 07:33:12 PM »
I sell the same product and unfortunately this where the big guns like Amazon and Takealot are killing smaller retailers,  their buying power is larger than what we can afford, essentially they are able to buy in bulk and sell for less. In the case of DT880 in this screenshot it comes direct from the supplier and there is no middle man to make a commission hence the overall lower price. Savvy buyers know where to shop and how to shop to get what they want. Not to mention our Poor Rand vs the Dollar, if it was 1:1 no single soul in SA would be shopping on Amazon.

The problem is their is zero governance on big brands as to where they are allowed to sell and where the buck should end, sadly pricing is always crucified to shreds due to this and Amazon is taking a good chunk of local sales and that is widely known for lower priced items where customs are not asking for almost double the price. Sure support amazon for these kind of sales but the pain comes in when there is a fault on the unit, the local suppliers do not take on items under their warranty policy if it was not purchased within SA.

A lot of guys jump through loop holes to bring in items via, ebay, amazon, bangGood and Alibaba and rave about their savings, but come time to send the items back for warranty no one ever wants to share those horrible experiences

In a nutshell support the local guys, when you require higher end that will cost you double in Price to ship from international shores, we are always willing to dish out good discounts.

As a dealer myself I like to think I know how things work.
As Alpha Tech is the listed SA distributor and I assuming that all retail dealers get their stock via AT (else their will be no local warranties), are they not perhaps coining it? Brands should assure that retail prices are equalised no matter in which market you buy.

If the local distributor (AT) cannot assure that (price equalisation), I have no faith in them to support local warranties.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:43:01 PM by Drifter »