ADVICE NEEDED FOR A NEW DAC

(1/3) > >>

XL1000:
My setup in the sound room is now as follows:

* Mac Mini 2012 Server with dual SSD Running Roon
* Marantz NA6006 as Roon Endpoint for all streaming including HEOS
* Marantz MM7025 taking analog signal from the NA6006 via variable out over RCA
* Mission 753 speakers and a Velodyne Sub (Small) for bass assist

What I am experiencing is a little underwhelming as I am used to fairly loud listening levels and the MM7025 needs an input volume of 85% from the NA6006 to get even close to the levels my NAD 326BEE did at 25% volume level. The MM7025 has Balanced and Unbalanced inputs but the NA6006 only has unbalanced out.
What would you recommend? Do I get a DAC and use the digital out of the NA6006 and balanced out of a new DAC to the MM7025?
Would a better option be to get an integrated Marantz amp and repurpose the power amplifier to my HT where I have a Marantz 7011 running 9.2 off the AVR to run the main left and right channels leaving the AVR to power only the 6 surround speakers and the center speaker?

Mission 753 Specks

SpecificationsType: 2 way, 5 driver loudspeaker system[/font][/font][/size]
Frequency Response: 45Hz to 20kHz[/font]
[/size]Recommended Amplifier: 35 to 150W
[/size]Crossover Frequency: 2100Hz
[/size]Impedance: 6Ω
[/size]Sensitivity: 90dB
[/size]Bass: 4 x 130mm paper
[/size]Tweeter: 1 x 26mm ferrofluid cooled
[/size]Enclosure: 34 litre, sealed with bass assist
[/size]Finish: real wood veneer
[/size]Dimensions: 875 x 208 x 315mm
[/size]Weight: 50kg
[/size]
[/size]NAD 326BEE Specks

50W x 2 Continuous Power into 4 ohms and 8 ohms     100W, 150W, 200W IHF Dynamic power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively     PowerDriveTM circuit     NAD SR 8 Full System Remote control     Headphone socket     Front panel Media Player (MP) input for attaching portable MP3 Player     Relay Input Switching     Holmgren Toroidal Power transformer     7 Line inputs, including two tape in/outs     All discrete circuitry     Short signal path from input to output     All sockets Gold plated     Tone controls defeat switch     Main-amp input & pre-amp outputs     Subwoofer (mono) Out     Soft ClippingTM     IR Input/Output     12 volt trigger out     Detachable IEC Power Cable     <1W Standby Power Consumption     Free of lead and other environmentally dangerous substances
[/size]
[/size]Marantz MM7025 Specks
[/size][/size][size=0.75rem]Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm RMS)[/size][/color][/font][size=0.75rem]140 W / 170 W (6)[/size][size=0.75rem]Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm DIN)[/size][size=0.75rem]No[/size][size=0.75rem]Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm IHF)[/size][size=0.75rem]No[/size][size=0.75rem]Bridged Power Output (8 Ohm RMS)[/size][size=0.75rem]No[/size][size=0.75rem]Frequency response[/size][size=0.75rem]8 Hz-100 kHz (+-3 dB)[/size][size=0.75rem]Total Harmonic Distortion[/size][size=0.75rem]0.03% (20 Hz - 20 kHz)[/size][size=0.75rem]Damping Factor[/size][size=0.75rem]100[/size][size=0.75rem]Input Sensitivity: MM[/size][size=0.75rem]No[/size][size=0.75rem]Input Sensitivity: MC[/size][size=0.75rem]No[/size][size=0.75rem]Signal to Noise Ratio: MM/MC[/size][size=0.75rem]No[/size][size=0.75rem]Input Sensitivity: High level[/size][size=0.75rem]1.2 V / 22 K[/size][size=0.75rem]Input Sensitivity: Balanced High level[/size][size=0.75rem]2.4 V / 30 K[/size][size=0.75rem]Signal to Noise Ratio: High level[/size][size=0.75rem]105 dB[/size]

Marantz NA6006 LINK

https://www.marantz.com/en-gb/product/network-audio-players/na6006

chrisc:
You're going to see many replies about this, as there as many varieties of DACs as there are car models

I will only suggest one - The Denafrips ARES-II.  This is sold by Vinshine Audio in Singapore for around R12000.  I have imported 5 of these for AV Forum members and without exception they are thrilled with the performance

Yossarian:
@chrisc that dac doesn't have a Pre amp function ie no volume control?

I have found using a dac as a Pre amp a little underwhelming just my 2c

Drifter:
I assume that you used the NAD as an integrated amp to drive the Missions?

My first thought is that the NA6006's variable outputs does not send a "full strength" signal to the MM7025.  It has a digital volume limiter. Are you sure that this has not been enabled?
https://manuals.marantz.com/na6006/EU/en/OBAOSYppgxhqsa.php

If I were you would do the following test as a start. Use the NA6006 simply as a DAC feeding the NAD and using the NAD simply as a pre-amp feeding the MM7025 as a power amp.
Using the NAD as a pre-amp you can compare this setup to the setup using the NA6006 as pre-amp to test whether the NA6006's pre-amp section is the weak link.

Report back after this.

chrisc:

--- Quote from: Yossarian on April 30, 2021, 08:38:40 AM ---@chrisc that dac doesn't have a Pre amp function ie no volume control?

I have found using a dac as a Pre amp a little underwhelming just my 2c

--- End quote ---

No, but there are various work-arounds for managing volume

The easiest, for me at any rate, is to use JRiver's built in volume control

These are the options offered in JR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version