Author Topic: Denafrips Pontus II  (Read 1768 times)

Offline seanjammy

Re: Denafrips Pontus II
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2021, 05:32:29 PM »
Too much drama even for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2021, 06:22:55 PM »
No fuse in Audio GD equipment?

So I'm firing up the hot air popper for another round...and I just gotta know:
@sajunky where exactly is that fuse if the oke who designed and built it says it's in the transformer casing..??  :thinking:   

I need to know this in case my NFB11 decides to misbehave... ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:25:29 PM by capetownwatches »

Offline sajunky

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2021, 09:54:33 PM »
So I'm firing up the hot air popper for another round...and I just gotta know:
@sajunky where exactly is that fuse if the oke who designed and built it says it's in the transformer casing..??  :thinking:   

I need to know this in case my NFB11 decides to misbehave... ;)
I love this post, it was a pun, hehehe.

You see, Kingwa is a known being a gainst a practice of replacing fuses with audiophile types. One user spent hours finding a fuse (even dismantling a motherboard) and finally gave up with a conclusion that it must be in the transformer, instead asking Kingwa where to find fuse. He made a comprehensive post about his research. Some idiots started to pick it up and made comments around claiming that in the Audio GD equipment there is no fuse. Kingwa is a person who responds to queries by email promptly and is always very honest in a business matters, but now when a matter is getting fun, I don't think he would disclose his secrets, but I can be wrong.

On the other side it is a good idea to place fuse in a place which start heating up when something goes wrong. When a temperature is raising fuse trips earlier than normal, giving additionally overheating protection. So, on one side is a lot of fun, on the other there is respect to people who came with such idea.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:27:09 PM by sajunky »
If it measures good and sounds bad—it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.
/ Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, Chief Engineer, H.H. Scott/

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 09:00:32 AM »
It would be nice if some of these were available locally.
If the fanboi's would bring them in so others can experience what's great about the technology on paper.

I got to listen to the denafrips Ares it was good. But I was disappointed. Now there is an Ares 2 if anyone has one i would be keen to listen to it
I found the pagoda dac that Francois brought in better
And then I found the soekris better.
And well guys can argue about R2R  and its measurements.
But hey Yggy didn't measure well but absolutely fantastic.
I got to listen to the holo.
I went in with an open mind as I am not a fan of YouTube hype
It totally blew me away.
Would i buy a holo yes. Thanks to the guys I don't have to loose sleep over it because there is no stock.

suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline GoodEnoughGear

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 10:07:26 AM »
I see they're readying a Holo Spring 3, with some trickle down tech from May and an analog volume control.
 >:D
Mobile: LG V60, CA Andromeda
Portable: LH Labs GO2A SE, KEF M500
Home: Soekris DAC2541, Genelec 8030+7050, HD600

Offline sajunky

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2021, 10:35:52 PM »
User experience can be wrong. @seanjammy, you wrote in other thread:
Quote from: seanjammy
Think this is largely subjective. I have tried an Ares and really wasn’t impressed. It sounded decent enough for a 10k DAC, but didn’t really punch above this.

This notion of ‘better vs. worse’ makes my head hurt. Who says item x sounds better? Surely different in the following ways is more relevant?
Re
Here’s an honest review:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/dac/denafrips-ares-ii-dac-review/

The Ares does some things well, but doesn’t have the output stage, or finesse to justify the giant killing status you make it out to have.

I looked at the review you recommended and found the following:

1. The reviewer is honest, confirmed. Scroll down to the comments, he admited that he didn't test Ares in a full glory (which is a slow roll-off filter or just NOS - the best feature).

2. For the above reason a review is not honest. I can say it is not valid, simply like that.

It is a story of an experienced reviewer, ordinary users make more mistakes. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 10:37:57 PM by sajunky »
If it measures good and sounds bad—it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.

Offline seanjammy

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2021, 10:43:56 PM »
User experience can be wrong. @seanjammy, you wrote in other thread:

I looked at the review you recommended and found the following:

1. The reviewer is honest, confirmed. Scroll down to the comments, he admited that he didn't test Ares in a full glory (which is a slow roll-off filter or just NOS - the best feature).

2. For the above reason a review is not honest. I can say it is not valid, simply like that.

It is a story of an experienced reviewer, ordinary users make more mistakes. :)
What has this got to do with Quinoa or Couscous or whatever DAC guru you talking about?

Offline sajunky

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2021, 10:59:52 PM »
What has this got to do with Quinoa or Couscous or whatever DAC guru you talking about?
To much drama, even for me and is completely off topic, but you didn't complain.  :point:

Your comment I brought in from the other thread is relevant to this thread. You did bother to resppond in this thread, it is relevant to you, it seems. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:16:44 PM by sajunky »

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2021, 07:51:35 AM »

Quinoa... :ROFLMAO:

He Quingwa, known (to those in the know) as Kingwa, Major Domo at Audio-gd.

Offline seanjammy

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »
Quinoa... :ROFLMAO:

He Quingwa, known (to those in the know) as Kingwa, Major Domo at Audio-gd.
I’m not in the know, so I will call him Basmati.

Offline sajunky

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2021, 02:19:15 PM »
I’m not in the know, so I will call him Basmati.
That kind of response is expected from.

Offline seanjammy

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2021, 02:20:29 PM »
That kind of response is expected from.
I hang my head in shame. I am not worthy of the mighty Garbanzo Bean of the Audio Kng

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2021, 10:07:39 AM »
jammster and junkie - so funny.  ;D

Offline peyote

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2021, 04:23:18 PM »
Hi guys

Sorry I have been AWOL for a bit! Just saw all the replies  :BWAHAHAH: - thanks so much! I will go through them individually.

However after reading numerous reviews on the Denafrips range, both good and bad, decided to hold off for now.

Offline peyote

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2021, 04:27:15 PM »
Have you meet Srefan yet? I dont think you would say that if you knew him..

Have not met Stefan yet, but need to give him a call @Air - been a bit hectic with work lately.