Audio and Video Talk > Digital

Denafrips Pontus II

(1/13) > >>

peyote:
Hi guys

Anyone using the Denafrips Pontus II DAC? Have read a bunch of good reviews. Have also read a bunch of negative reviews mostly on Audio Science. The guys are obsessed with measurements and don't seem to have anything good to say about ladder dacs.

Thanks

Yossarian:
I am so keen to try one of these myself.

Maybe you should order so long and let us know😁

Air:
Gate crashing your thread but just to give perspective about measurement and R2R DAC's here is the measurements of the Holo Spring 3 to be launched soon.
Not too shabby for a R2R dac ;)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-preview-of-holo-audio-spring-3-dac-wpreamp-prototype.22083/

kamikazi:
Amir didn't seem to have a problem with the Ares II? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denafrips-ares-ii-usb-r2r-dac-review.11166/
Many reviews I've checked seem to point out that they offer good measured performance.I wasn't able to find measurements on the Pontus II specifically, but if the Ares II looks solidly engineered so I doubt there would be a problem here, the more often reviewed Terminator also seems to offer good performance.

ASR members will most likely suffer cardiac arrest about the price, especially when you can buy much cheaper DACs that measure exceedingly well. ASR is not really useful for subjective impressions, so use the measurements as insurance that the designer know what they are doing (you can check out the Audio-GD R2R reviews for an example how not to design R2R) and then give the product a listen to form a good subjective opinion or gather opinions from people that you trust. I think the issue with Pontus II is most likely being stuck as mid-range offering from Denafrips, is whether you gives you sufficient improvement over the Ares II vs the TOTL Terminator.

There are many notable good examples now that show that R2R DACs can both measure and perform well in listening tests. Some good recent options include the Denafrips Ares II, the Holo Spring 2 and the Soekris DAC 2541.

sajunky:

--- Quote from: kamikazi on April 29, 2021, 05:07:43 PM ---ASR is not really useful for subjective impressions, so use the measurements as insurance that the designer know what they are doing (you can check out the Audio-GD R2R reviews for an example how not to design R2R)

--- End quote ---
I agree with other comments (but not the last one, it is another matter), just want to point out that these comment how to design R2R were without merits. They failed on both sides.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version