Author Topic: A question of cleaning In ear headphones tips  (Read 341 times)

Offline JoziNic

A question of cleaning In ear headphones tips
« on: April 24, 2021, 09:21:00 PM »
A bit a funky subject nothin a nice way...I am hoping to get some advice here.

I have a set of in ear headphones (they arenít monitors, but in ears with rubber tips).

But basically every time I use them thereís always some form of sebum on the tips.

Do you clean your tips after every use? Is it a case of a toothpick, alcohol swab?

Is there any product that can be applied to a tip to prevent it getting gunky?
Or something that you can rub in your ears?

Best practice when it comes to keeping tips clean would be very helpful

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline naughty

Re: A question of cleaning In ear headphones tips
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 02:17:27 AM »
with rubber or silicone ear tips you could probably clean them - heres a guide you can read (it includes ear tips even though the title refers to headphones)

https://www.headphonesty.com/2017/03/how-to-clean-your-headphones-like-a-pro/

BUT

DO NOT use water or anything wet on the modern foam or memory foam ear tips for IEMs - those will crack and perish and then begin to disintegrate instantly - i have tried it with generic memory foam tips and those broke apart as i tried to put them back onto the IEMs - those you can only try and put them on after cleaning your ears - and possibly wipe them with a dry microfibre cloth then they seem really dirty or dusty

Offline JoziNic

Re: A question of cleaning In ear headphones tips
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 10:50:11 AM »
with rubber or silicone ear tips you could probably clean them - heres a guide you can read (it includes ear tips even though the title refers to headphones)

https://www.headphonesty.com/2017/03/how-to-clean-your-headphones-like-a-pro/

BUT

DO NOT use water or anything wet on the modern foam or memory foam ear tips for IEMs - those will crack and perish and then begin to disintegrate instantly - i have tried it with generic memory foam tips and those broke apart as i tried to put them back onto the IEMs - those you can only try and put them on after cleaning your ears - and possibly wipe them with a dry microfibre cloth then they seem really dirty or dusty
Thanks for this naughty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station