Author Topic: Willingness of forum members to take advantage...  (Read 401 times)

Offline Timber_MG

Willingness of forum members to take advantage...
« on: April 21, 2021, 08:04:23 AM »
<rant>

Yesterday another person booked an acoustic consult which i occasionally offer for silly rates to forum enthusiasts ...basically covers the hire of a calibrated mic calibrator and/or instrument so that any noise study I perform is respectable. Arrange to firm up the day before.... and don't even get a courtesy response.

Why is it that off forum references have a zero incidence of this and on-forum this happens frequently? That some yellow bastards will gladly take up an hour or more on the phone to get a better grip of the subject matter on the pretext of promising a consult but then ignore comms.... which saw my wife work evening hours and me forfeit other work.

</rant>

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Willingness of forum members to take advantage...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 08:23:20 AM »
Eish!

Such are the risks in business. Just to play devil's advocate: assuming that there was a rational explanation, like the bloke got run over by a bus... you would suffer the same loss and inconvenience. Strongs, bud. Take it on the chin; there'll be plenty more hits-and-misses to come (I hope more hits than misses!).

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 08:43:00 AM »
It's not like I do this as a business, but it does mean that i forfeit an afternoon's actual paying work. Prepping a dodecahedron source, Type1 calibrator, 4 test panels and instrument for a sabine evaluation of a room and not even getting courtesy responses is not the kind of interaction this forum used to foster at its inception. It's a pattern that's becoming ever more clear and it never used to be that way. People who will knowingly make false arrangements as a pretext then just look the other way and ignore communication...

Offline ERad

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 09:34:27 AM »
I think the words "pretext and promise" is always a grey area. "show me the $$" before your put in the effort is sometimes needed to see if someone is really serious.
Many see audio as a hobby and I guess don't take people who sell their services seriously.

Unfortunately if you can't or won't name and shame, this might happen to ours.

You 100%, this should not be the norm on forums like these...