Ouch for Intel

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Intel Chipset With Potential Problem - What To Do (UPDATED)
posted by Kelly Feller on January 31, 2011

By now some of you may have heard that Intel representatives announced the discovery of a potential issue in one of the companion chipsets to the Intel? 2nd Generation Core? processors, code named ?Sandy Bridge.? Because Intel is committed to providing our customers products of the highest quality, we have proactively identified the affected part, stopped shipment of the product, and have begun to manufacture a new version of the support chip which will resolve this issue.

This issue only affects the Intel? 2nd Generation Core? i5 and Core? i7 quad core based systems that have been shipping since January 9th, 2011. If you believe your PC may contain the affected part please follow the instructions below.

How do I know if my PC contains the affected part? If you purchased your system before January 9th, 2011 you do not need to do anything else.

I?ve confirmed that my PC contains the part affected in this announcement. What should I do next? If you believe you may be affected by this issue, please contact your place of purchase or your PC manufacturer. Intel is working with our PC manufacturing partners on a warranty return solution.

What is the specific technical problem identified? The parts that contain this potential problem includes the Intel? 6 Series (and the Intel? C200 Series Chipset). In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. This issue does not affect the processor but only affects the supporting chipsets. Intel has implemented a silicon fix to this problem.

Where might I find more information about this issue? Intel is committed to communicating openly with our valued customers and partners regarding this issue. To better respond to your questions, we have implemented a live chat feature on our Intel Customer Support page. You are also encouraged to contact your PC Manufacturer for more information on any warranty return process.

We will post more information here as it becomes available.

UPDATE: We have posted a new page to help you identify whether your chipset may be affected by this issue. Please follow the instructions on this page to determine the next steps you should take.

http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Products/Processors/chipset.htm