Marantz DA12

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder what the criteria are that defines a "vintage" component? Surely it can't be related to a certain kind of sound quality but rather something designed and manufactured before a certain date. I start off with this musing as I wasn't sure whether I should post my new baby here or under the digital section. On one hand, I think the unit will be more appreciated over here but on the other hand, it might be not doing justice to just how good it is at what it does; convert 0s and 1s into music!

A bit of context, I am not a collector in general or a collector of vintage stuff in particular although I appreciate timeless designs not only hifi related but in all spheres so I wasn't in really on a mission to find this DAC. My journey started with dissatisfaction with digital sound in general and it took me through a short DIY route with NOS R2R dacs to landing the agency for Aqua and of late Holo Audio. Using an EAD DSP 7000 Mk1(AD 1862) opened my eyes to what kind of tone and timbre I enjoy and how far remove modern digital stuff is from what I believe music sound like in real life. The modern R2R designs are great, make no mistake but for pure enjoyment, I often opted for the EAD instead of the newer versions that floated through my system despite its obvious shortcomings such as a lack of insight and detail and pure dynamics. When the black sheep of the Marantz TDA1541 S1 Cdplayers became available I bought a Marantz CD80 on the forum and was bowled over once again by the tone, timbre and harmonics of this player. In the midrange, it has palatability that I love and appreciates although the sound is far from perfect, some call it untidy. Soon thereafter I jumped at the Rotel Michi CH-10 with the PCM63-K chips, but as it never rains but pours  a few days later I was made aware of the CD12 that is on the market and I couldn't resist. I took the plunge and bought it blind from Ebay and prayed all will be well. With the help of friends, I eventually got the unit shortly after Easter.

Having listened to it for the past week or so I am really impressed and wonder whether there are any other luckily enthusiasts around that might have/had the pleasure to listen to the CD12LE or the DAC on its own. Unfortunately, the drive is on AWOL and of course, I am now looking around for a partner, even just visually and I believe someone might be able to help but is still thinking about it..

The first picture is of the unit I bought, the rest from the internet. I have not opened my unit and maybe it requires some TLC but at the moment the DAC is giving lots of pleasure and prompt me to ask, where have the industry gone astray? Has the high res quest taken us to the synthetic sound of modern designs? Sure there is good stuff around but for now, I am still basking in this ray of light.