Electrolytic Capacitors

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampdog

R.I.P. 23 June 2022
Reaction score
There was a discussion about these long ago but I could not now find it.

It concerns high voltage capacitors. I bought a number of LH.Novas, 470?F 450V [type LH(M), 105 deg C], have used a few without a problem, until last night one started getting hot under 400V. I cannot risk this for a fairly high quality product I am working on. It is also not possible to test every one ahead of use; the culprit did the job for some time before. Also no ripple current in this case; it was used as the output capacitor of a power supply after a choke.

As I recall, someone mentioned having had a few Hitanos venting. The Nova was not known at the time; Trek, Jamicon and Rubicon seemed to have fetched good comments. Or does one have to go the Roederstein way and pay a rediculous amount? I have also used JJs (100+100 and 50+50) working on 500V, but at 8 in an amplifier the cost % becomes quite high.

I admit not to have Googled at this stage; I expect a bewildering display of names and claims but nothing to judge quality by.

So, please, if folks had experience, kindly share the same?