One of my favourite Aussie bands...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firehorse

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not the first time i have mentioned this band -but for the hell of it though i would mention this awesome band again

This was one of the finest classic bands which came from Australia, and there is nothing fanny about this band - it has nothing to do with prog, it is a vintage hard rock leaning heavily on white man' blues, spiked with a dose of psychedelia, based on exceptional guitar work and lengthy compositions. It might sound a bit self-repetitive and monotonous, but it's not so simple at all (in "Sitting On Top Of The Room", showcasing by the way great acoustic guitar work, one can easily define 4 musical themes/movements evolving one from another). The band was influenced by Deep Purple and Cream, and reminds "Bad Company" (which came later), "Grand Funk", even early "Led Zeppelin" (without refinement - listen to "Mid Morning Madness", and you'll recognize it immediately). Should they appear today, they would have been christened "stoner" or "nu hard rock"...

The band was formed not by unknown teenagers - Vince Maloney was with legendary "Aztecs" (63-65), and spent three years in the UK as a lead guitarist for "Bee Gees". The vocals of Doung Parkinson are strong, fine and powerful, he was one of the top male singers Down Under. Johnny **** (drums) also played with reformed "Aztecs" (when they've split with Billy Thorpe), while Teddy Toi was seasoned bassist - his work provides solid background for the whole album.

The album, consisting of original material, was recorded in London in 1970, but released one year later - when the band already split. I would say that "Fanny Adams" could have become one of the international stars, but they were haunted by bad luck and misfortunes. Even their equipment was lost in the fire when they returned to Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3KBG2isEC4

Attachments

• fanny.jpg
    fanny.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 86