Author Topic: Navigating the minefield of used car dealers  (Read 1003 times)

Offline wilhelm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Navigating the minefield of used car dealers
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 08:36:24 AM »
If you found something you like in Paarl, take it to BN Service Centre, Abrie near Hospitaalstraat to check it out for you.
Older Mercedes, same thing with Bernard Loubser near Agrimark out of Oosbosch Str

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 08:49:56 AM »
I have never paid full price for a car.  The last one for instance was suggested to me by a friend who had just purchased a new Honda CR-V.  The salesman, talkative as they are, mentioned that they had 5 of the previous years Honda models on the floor and they had to get rid of them by the end of February to satisfy Honda's finance dept. 

They were prepared to offer 27.5% discount with full factory warranty provided the deal was concluded before 28th Feb.  The car didn't even have to be paid for, as long as the purchase offer was signed.  It so happened I was looking for a Honda Jazz and wandered in.  By that time there were 2 left, a white one with 22km on the clock and a blue one with 14km.   The new price was R185000 and discounted price R134125.   They also reduced the "on the road fees" which to my mind is a rip-off anyway to R800.  That more or less covered the annual licence fee

I have had Honda before, by far and away the most reliable, better even than Toyota.  My 1984 Ballade is still being driven daily by the lady I sold it to in 1989.   The window winding handle broke off some years ago, apart from that nothing

Friends who want to buy used cars are recommended to take along an "old school" mechanic along.  He will be able to spot potential defects fast
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Trashy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »
@wilhelm thank you for those Paarl mechanic recommendations. I'll keep them in mind when looking at vehicles.

@chrisc, I am actually looking at a replacement for my wife's Jazz. It was so reliable I would check the tire pressure for some excitement.
Sadly, I sold it in November for a very fair price, and from what I've seen now, I would need to spend R20k more just to replace it. Across the board, vehicles I was looking at 5 months ago are now fetching much higher prices.
So if you hear of any more bargains like that, I'm all ears!

Offline Ummagumma

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • OhmsHiFi
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 09:48:28 AM »
You can enver go wrong with Honda, they are the most reliable car on the road. I on the other hand have a unhealthy obsession with fiat and alfa. Must be because I am a cyclist and everything italian is the best in the bicycle world. To get a great deal you should play the dealers off against each other. When I was in the market for a punto a few years back I went to the local fiat dealer and found a nice demo model at a good price. I then went online and started looking at other options. I found another demo punto at a Durban dealership and it was going for 10k less than the one in Nelspruit. I was more than happy to take a weekend drive to go and pick it up. Armed with this information I went back to the Nelspruit dealer and he gave me the one he had at the same price as the Durban punto and threw in a set of alloy wheels. The deal was done and I was smiling.
For long you live and high you fly. The smiles you give the tears you cry. And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Offline Dumb and Dumber

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 09:58:36 AM »
Does your observation include used vehicle sections of new vehicle dealerships?
My last few used vehicles were all bought from Honda, Kia or Mercedes dealers. By no means perfect and I have had issues, but at least you know the chances of them disappearing overnight are slim and they have a reputation to maintain so scams will be less than at the dealer in Voortrekker Road. If you are a meticulous individual no doubt that any used vehicle will disappoint you as the previous owner just did not look after it the same way you would have, that is always the situation that I find myself in.

What type of vehicle are you looking for?

Good advice.
My father recently bought a Honda HRV form a BMW dealership, in another province. He received great service.
Strangely the car was delivered at the local Toyota dealership, and not the local BMW dealership. But it all went smooth and the car is just great with no issues.

Offline ALF

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 09:22:15 PM »
If you are looking for a white Toyota or VW there are loads of them at AVIS for sale, I bought a Caddy from them the car is in a perfect shape all services at dealers,  low mileage, most of time still under warranty and they look after their cars.
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Vince MacMahon

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • One Life...Live It
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 09:49:12 PM »
It really depends how much effort youíre willing to put in. Judging an offer based solely on the webpage will certainly land you in trouble, doing more homework will help (even then not guarantee you got the lemon).

Iíve only sold to them, the person who wouldíve ended up buying my 2012 320d with 160kmís on the clock and in EXTREMELY CLEAN condition (which they bought from me for R140k) wouldíve got a very good bargain.

But Iím sure there are plenty of duds.

Personally Iíve always looked at the dealership of the  vehicle brand I was looking at to see if they have anything preowned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it you taking the Merc I referred to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline JoziNic

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:06 PM »
Is it you taking the Merc I referred to?

Hopefully yes

This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline Vince MacMahon

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • One Life...Live It
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 10:28:40 PM »
Good luck
Does seem like a neat clean car

Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline Trashy

• AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 11:42:48 PM »
@Vince MacMahon I couldn't find the Merc you referred to, do you need to login to view classifieds there?
@JoziNic post pics if you get it!

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 06:31:38 AM »
A friend of mine owns Dart Motors in Cape Town, give them a try

https://www.dart-motors.co.za/

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town

Offline santoshlv426

• AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2021, 03:43:49 PM »
Even if you purchase the same brand from a dealer 2nd hand there's no guarantee.
I purchased my 2014 Lexus from a Lexus dealer in Gauteng.

The battery the car has was not correct for the car. One of their own technicians had to point it out to the sales person and they only changed it after I wanted to cancel the purchase.
The tires were replaced, great, but it was replaced with an unknown Chinese brand and the balancing was off and the brakes were juddering. I got the discs skimmed which sorted the problem and to Lexus' credit, the dealer reimbursed me for the cost of skimming.

But you never really know the history.
My 2009 Honda, which I purchased used 7 years ago - just this weekend I saw a bubble developing on the "new spare" which was in the car since I got  it from a non-Honda dealer.

turns out that the tire had sidewall damage and was patched on the inside ! And I only found out 7 years later ! It was a massive safety risk which I sorted out today at a cost of R1119.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2021, 04:02:21 PM »
If you are looking for a white Toyota or VW there are loads of them at AVIS for sale, I bought a Caddy from them the car is in a perfect shape all services at dealers,  low mileage, most of time still under warranty and they look after their cars.

Correction. The vehicles are not serviced by the dealers. They are serviced by Avis (or whichever car rental company in question) in-house mechanics & after a certain mileage (generally 30k km's) they are sent to dealers to be sold as second hand/demo.
The dealer then stamps the service books.
However, any check back in the manufacturers history will not show that the vehicle was serviced.

Learnt this the hard way when purchasing 5 bakkies.
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline JoziNic

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 04:12:59 PM »
Correction. The vehicles are not serviced by the dealers. They are serviced by Avis (or whichever car rental company in question) in-house mechanics & after a certain mileage (generally 30k km's) they are sent to dealers to be sold as second hand/demo.
The dealer then stamps the service books.
However, any check back in the manufacturers history will not show that the vehicle was serviced.

Learnt this the hard way when purchasing 5 bakkies.
I have personally stayed away from buying vehicles from the rental houses (like Avis or Zelda or whomever) as I firmly believe the answer to the question ďDo you know which car is the fastest in reverse ?Ē...is Always a rental...

But my mom bought a Yaris sedan from Zeda cars at least 12 years ago...for the life of me I canít remember how much mileage (it wasnít high to our knowledge) was on it, and today it is still going fine without a problem...

This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station