Lazy man TQWT

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanjammy

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I had some Seas drivers lying around from a trade (of some other DIY speakers). They were brand new, and crying out for a build. The Zaph Audio build looked interesting, but I really don?t see the point in bookshelves.

Every time I?ve listened to a TQWT system at the now emigrated Rudi, I?ve been gobsmacked by the bass.

I made a design, understanding all that a TQWT is is a ported box with a very cunningly placed port.

Notwithstanding my design effort, I didn?t have the energy to build something that would do these pretty drivers justice. So I asked Rob to build them.

They arrived earlier, and I?ve raided my crossover bits box, and built the design that I theorised while they were being built.

It was close (ish), highs were fine (but tweeter is so damn good it?s pretty easy to get ruler flat), but the woofer crossover took some fiddling. Ultimately a similar design to what I used for the tops seemed to work.

The result is stunning. These things have Bass. Low, Controlled, Fast, Sumptuous Bass. The sort of bass you want to caress. Take on coffee dates and talk to till sunrise.

Everything else is pretty stand fare. Sweet, spacious, no real timbre or attack compared to the monsters I am used to, but considering the effort, I am giving them a 8.5 out of 10.

Lord knows what I will do with them. Maybe an auction?

f79e8c3cb6e25395a2e08ede937fa226.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk