Author Topic: As a sound enthusiast living in an apartment complex, how does one cope?  (Read 1149 times)

Online Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
I would suggest a system that is balanced, resolving and dynamic at low volumes are the key to enjoying music in communal living.

High sensitivity speakers in general fit the bill very well. They are just so much more alive and rewarding at low listening levels!

Besides sensitivity, I also think that a speaker system that deals well with the nagging floor bounce effective(suck out in the power range between 150Hz-300Hz because of comb cancellations) is also something that I would target. This rules out most small 2-way speakers on high stands. Vintage-styled speakers, with broad baffles that are on low stands and slightly titled towards the listening height, would be great though. Bigger midbass drivers that sound rich in the power ranges also helps. Once again more retro designs rather.

Offline santoshlv426

Stand outside the house to see the level of intrusion. Sound level drops off exponentially and while it may appear real loud to you, it may not be that much 2-3m away.

Offline Agaton Sax

Pics, or it didn't happen ;p

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
Friend in Milnerton has a man-cave measuring 8m x 3.5m x 2.5m and has put 4 REL subwoofers in there.  On some movies with helicopters flying about, the floor seems to shake.

Yet with the windows ajar and going outside, some 10m away, it is not noticeable.  Open the (padded) door and its the audio equivalent of stepping into a sauna pumping out heat without the steam
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline naughty

Don't underestimate how people will react if they are even aware that your system or tv is on and working  - it may not be loud at all but complaints will be flooding in - this why I gave up bothering - just gonna use headphone systems for music and tv speakers for tv sound - sadly gonna miss out on atmos or any form of surround sound - but I'm not gonna bother arguing with fussy idiots who can't stand 10 dbs of sound leaking through (30 dbs is a normal room SPL level with no sound playing)

Offline kinosfronimos

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I've found music to be the therapy of choice

Too cool thanks for delivering :mates:

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk

Monitor Audio Speakers: BR6's, BX-FX's, RX-C; ASW100 Cambridge Audio: Asure 540R V3 & 540D V2; Samsung LED: 46EH5300; Xonar U3 DAC; Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear I & Sony WH-1000M3 Headphones; Denon DM41 mini-Hi-Fi

Offline Zilch

• Weet nie
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • ... never finishing projects

TV, what TV?

Also, anyone noticed how those horns are being held in place by chains?  Awesome!
If you don't understand the difference between "their", " there", and "they're", then your an idiot.

Offline audiounphile

I would suggest a system that is balanced, resolving and dynamic at low volumes are the key to enjoying music in communal living.

High sensitivity speakers in general fit the bill very well. They are just so much more alive and rewarding at low listening levels!

Besides sensitivity, I also think that a speaker system that deals well with the nagging floor bounce effective(suck out in the power range between 150Hz-300Hz because of comb cancellations) is also something that I would target. This rules out most small 2-way speakers on high stands. Vintage-styled speakers, with broad baffles that are on low stands and slightly titled towards the listening height, would be great though. Bigger midbass drivers that sound rich in the power ranges also helps. Once again more retro designs rather.
Sounds like you’re describing the JBL L100 classic. Would love to audition a pair of those!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
I have neighbours above and below, and a very nice sound without having to annoy them.  Currently sitting outside with the music playing and it would not garner any complaints as it is loud enough to hear and inside loud enough to appreciate.
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline 2wice

My volume is in direct proportion to my neighbour's, it's either the white wine lubed Sandton kugal on the left, the demon spawn ankle biter with separation anxiety on the right or the RC car on tiles above.
If my music is too loud, yours is too soft. :p