Author Topic: Help with mid-range driver problem  (Read 447 times)

Offline fredeb

Re: Help with mid-range driver problem
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 01:52:37 PM »
Get 2 drivers if you buy new . That way you know it's a close match .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline fredeb

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 05:21:09 PM »

I am a little surprised at the trimmed edge driver in the round hole. 

@Hi-Phibian is right , looks like the wrong driver . Did you buy them 2nd hand ?

Here's a thread with pics of drivers : https://www.hifivision.com/threads/my-setup-linn-majik-109-aktiv.65557/

I'd guess it's meant to be a Seas driver https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-woofers-6-7/seas-prestige-ca18rly-h1217-7-coated-paper-cone-woofer/

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 05:39:16 PM by fredeb »
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline fredeb

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 08:02:23 PM »
If you compare the SEAS CA18RLY(H1217) response with measured response of the Majik 140 , the Seas appears to be exactly the right driver .

Source : https://www.stereophile.com/content/linn-majik-140-loudspeaker-measurements

Fig.4 Linn Majik 140, acoustic crossover on supertweeter axis at 50", corrected for microphone response, with nearfield midrange (magenta), woofer (black), and port (green) responses plotted below 300Hz.

Source : https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-woofers-6-7/seas-prestige-ca18rly-h1217-7-coated-paper-cone-woofer/

Available here at decent price : https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/seas-ca18rly-h1217-08.html

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:05:20 PM by fredeb »
Jan Smuts

Offline HeadlessMan

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 08:16:22 PM »
Gentleman

I thank you all for your input on this matter.

You had me convinced that the current drivers were replacement knock-offs, but then I got a late response from Linn saying that the Peerless drivers are in fact the correct units. Guess thatís a black against the fabled high quality of their components!

Would there be any point in upgrading them to the superior SEAS units, as has been mooted in the discussion? And can I be certain they would fit into the housing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 08:56:28 PM »
Putting in a better driver won't necessarily bring improvements. Where superior drivers excel is usually in the areas of more versatility. For instance, it could have extended and smooth top end response and/or extended low frequency response and/or higher power-handling. A midrange driver does not need all of that, as it is only used in a limited frequency band. So the extra features of your better driver may not be called into play.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online blizzard

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Science is a Living thing! It is never Concluded.
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 12:44:58 AM »
Yup, sign of the times.
Too many google cook's (engineers) in the kitchen  :point:
Keep in mind that those drivers were chosen for a reason. Peerless btw are highly rated drivers! As for the "better SEAS drivers" I don't care what the tech papers say. The proof is the hearing of the pudding  ;) Had my own experiences with so called superior drivers.

What most folks don't realize, is the amount of testing and development that goes in to a speaker design. 99.9% of the time COUCH Engineer Joe is going to go backwards if you don't have all the relevant testing equipment  ;)     

The most important question is, did the speakers sound good to you? If yes, replace with same and be happy
My  :2c:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:49:03 AM by blizzard »

Offline fredeb

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 05:19:43 AM »
I concede . The Seas unit was used in the Majik 109 , not 140 , so the Peerless driver is then the right driver , as confirmed by Linn . The Seas units , although offering slightly higher power handling , may not work with the same crossover components .

:2c:
Jan Smuts