Remasters, Remixes & Remakes

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvr

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the advantages of streaming music such as Tidal hi-fi is to be able to listen to the various versions of some of the great songs of yesteryear. It is not something that one would have easily done when buying music, but with streaming there are all sorts of new releases coming to the fore constantly. There are obviously many remasters, some are really good, while others often don't sound as good as the original. I have found many great remasters of some classic albums (pop, rock) on Tidal that I am busy listening to (just found The Pretenders which was done way back in 2006, sounding fantastic). In some instances and for various reasons the artists decide to rather re-record it. Foreigner's "Classics" and Sting's "My Songs" are two examples that worked out very well. Lately the trend seems to be to issue remixes, e.g. The Beatles, John Lennon, some Rolling Stones, Bowie, Procol Harum, Jethro Tull (already done in 2011). And I must say, some of them sound really good and showcase so much more of the detail of the recordings than the originals managed way back when.

So I quite enjoy listening to all these great songs in their fresh renditions. I don't think that is everybody's cup of tea though. Any thoughts, or comments on particular albums, songs that were remastered, re-recorded, or remixed that turned out to be either great, or disappointing?