Author Topic: 50 Years of misstakes, rambling and the occasional success.  (Read 1139 times)

Online johan.pretorius

Re: 50 Years of misstakes, rambling and the occasional success.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 10:16:13 AM »
Interesting indeed, thank you for sharing.
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 11:52:31 AM »
During this time 1973 there was a new amplifier introduced on the Swedish market, Yamaha CA1000, the shop took a few in and after listening to this through the JBL L65 i bought one.

This was a very good amplifier for this time, quite different from other solid state designs of this time, one reason perhaps that it ran in Class A up to 15W, switching it to pure class A mode it produced the 15 W, not very much more, but that was clearly enough with
the sensivity of the Scmacks horns.

Since then Yamaha has produced some really nice amplifiers, like the B2/C2 combination, repaired a C2 for a friend about a month ago,
the build quality/component quality of that preamp would be considered absolutely top class even today.

The CA1000 stayed as my amp for a while.

Ingvar
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:06:17 PM by Ingvar Ahlberg »
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 05:48:03 PM »
In 1974 I moved into Stocholm city, finished high school, carried the Schmacks up to my apartment on the 5:floor, no elevator, and started to look for a job.

Found an ad where a shop I never heard of wanted a sales peron, HiFi department, so I walked in there and introduced myself, they gave me a tour of the shop, looked like they did in Sweden those days, a TV department, a gigantic record department, the department for odds and ends, radio recorders, freestyles and such, and a magic HiFi department!

We connected, the owner/manager, the rest of the crew and me, was on a Thursday, I started work on Friday, they gave me the HiFi department to run after my own head (people sometimes make really lousy decisions).

This affected a lot of my direction/navigation regarding music replay equipment for a few Years, some for the better, some fore the worse.

Ingvar

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 06:11:56 PM »
I once took a gay friend to a hi-fi shop to evaluate and possibly buy some speakers.  Knowing he was well off, I looked at the expensive stuff, at that time R300k worth

His primary criteria was the appearance, "none of those black coffin-looking jobbies, thank you" and second was whether it would sound as good lying down as opposed to standing up.  I had already primed the salesman and he naturally agreed with every point raised.

He bought a set of Sonus Faber towers, mainly I think as they were finished in gloss cream and would "match better".   They sounded ok too, thank goodness.  And he kept them upright as they didn't look at all "phallus-like" which was an important consideration I had not thought of
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 08:17:10 PM »
Two strange years followed, 1975-76, the job in the new shop was perfect, this was the "golden age" in the hifi business, everybody was bying new music/hifi equipment and this shop was situated perfectly, center Stockholm and had a God reputation so I sold a lot, a lot, of good equipment,

The salary for a salesperson in a shop, whatever the shop sold, was not that very good but in those times You got a bonus for every piece You sold from the agency/importer/manufacturer, suddenly I was a very wealthy 17 year old, something I was not used to, and I shaped that myself, some nice satisfaction in that.

There was a lot of good stuff in the HiFi department, except the gear I was used to/knew like JBL, Pioneer, Micro Seiki, Audio Pro, Sony there was also all AR models except LST and MST, NAD, the pre 3020 models that were built by Foster Electronics in Japan (owned by Philips) and those integrated amps, especially the NAD 200 was magic, Alison speakers, DCM Time Window, Revox and a lot of new products surfaced during this time, for instance the Hitachi HMA 8300/HCA8300, Nakamichi and Technics grew strongly on the Swedish market.

As I spent the entire days there I listened a lot, demoed a lot and sold a lot I started to be very fascinated by the AR3 speakers, if used with suitable amplification, the NAD 200 was perfect, sounded extremely good in that  room.

Also found a bigger/better apartment, moved, carried the Schmacks horns once again, spent some money in a grown up way on good furniture and stuff like that, and decided on a change of course, actually a bad decision in the rear view mirror but Im glad I did that misstake.

The horns were given to a friend, he still use them.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 08:59:12 PM »
So this fascination with the AR3 speakers led to a change of direction, started thou with the aquisition of a SAEC wE 308 tonearm, an extensive rebuild/modification of the AR turntable (result pretty ugly) an Ortofon MC20 cartridge as source for the road forward.

An AR SP3a was bought and a Phase Linear PL400 and when the AR MST arrived this stuff was hooked up together, with cables long enough.

This was incredibly fun, then and there, the very low (close to non existent) sensitivity of the AR speakers had the VU meters on the PL400  moving even at very modest levels, only way to get anything close to music out of a PL is driving it hard, with high sensitivity speakers in a domestec use its totaly useless but playing loud on the MST this was really good.

Consequently went down this track for a while.

Ingvar
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:21:51 PM by Ingvar Ahlberg »