Author Topic: Are tweeters important?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline simpletonion

Re: Are tweeters important?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 12:29:40 PM »
Harmonics.

I think the linked table displays fundamentals only. In addition to these fundamentals, instruments produce harmonics higher up (and lower down) the spectrum.

Offline bbe22

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 09:21:42 PM »
here is some more interesting info  re  the diamond tech in tweeter design:

https://accuton.com/en-home/produkte/lautsprecher/diamant/Diamant-Technologie

Offline Nchebe

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
Harmonics.

Exactly! Why are Stradivarius violins so sought after? Their sound is just fantastic, caused by all sorts of additional vibrations at that tone - timbre is the musical term....  I'm not saying it is in the extreme upper frequencies necessarily, but it does make a perceivable difference...  All those little bits make a big difference.

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 11:30:23 AM »
Why are Stradivarius violins so sought after?

Ah, the Stradivarius myth rears it's head again!
It's so sad that most of them are owned by banks and people who cannot play them. Luckily, as it turns out, modern violins sound better, so not a great loss to the world...

Offline stereosane

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »
I'm pretty impressed with top end on a pair of Dayton 4" full range drivers. They rated to 20khz without a tweeter and they sound very very good but I will say they don't have that air or extra sparkle that a tweeter provides but you also dont really miss it.. it's only in a quick side by side comparison that it is more noticeable. I find most tweeters now days are to hot and provide a little to much info which sounds great at first but quickly gets very tiring..

Offline Sweetsound

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »
I have to say, Kent Kassler's Fostex 5" (?) FR drivers in a set of custom cabs a few yonks ago had me going. Still remember it as my first taste (sound!) of tweeterless monitors. His driving system at the time was a humble makeup of a 3020 series 20 as pre, and Dynaco Stereo 35 valve PA.

Was magic.

From there, I have chuckled at the fact that I had always bought amps with tone controls to reduce treble, or reverted to listen to music with my back towards the speakers.

The last few years I have settled with a set of Sonor Audio Vega Ref 1's which are rather mellow - I can tune the "sparkle" down by just simply popping the grills on. I have gotten (almost) used to Rotel amps and some Musical Fidelity machines.

Could also be that my ears have mellowed out as I went over 40 years  :thinking:
God invented stereo, then the 2 ears...

Offline tiaand

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 02:52:49 PM »
I find most tweeters now days are to hot and provide a little to much info which sounds great at first but quickly gets very tiring..

I feel exactly the same. Very impressive for an initial demo - but listening to it at home for a few hours starts hurting my ears.

Offline d0dja

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 04:58:53 PM »
I picked up up a very oddball set of Sony bookshelves. Sony briefly tried high end with these to drive its SACD players. Beautifully made, curious teardrop design. And tweeters that go up to 70kHz. Yes. You read that right.

Got em cheap, added an internal brace to cure the slightly tubby base. They have a surreal airiness... like they have no limit at the top. They go on forever.

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-ss-k30ed-speakers/

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 03:35:18 AM »
I miss any mention of Doppler distortion. That is when a source of high frequencies is not stationary but by itself moves at a lower frequency. (E.g. the well-known effect on car hooter sound when the car passes. Approaching, the hooter frequency is distinctly higher than when going away.) Imagine that with a h.f. signal source which by itself 'vibrates' at a lower frequency.

This is the disadvantage of a full frequency loudspeaker, particularly of the smaller type. With full frequency loudspeaker cones some 30+cm in diameter the cone movement at l.f. is relatively small; not so with diameters <20 cm. There are publications showing measurements regarding this.  I will hunt for these at a later time (or someone else may).

(This apart from other practical problems in the design of a full range driver.)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 10:18:59 AM »
Further to my preceding post, folks can look up 'Doppler distortion in Loudspeakers' on the internet. Not surprisingly, a very clear and lucid explanation yet again comes from Mr Rod Elliott of ESP with illustrating graphs, while the well-known Messrs Villchur and Linkwitz also contributed. They and others make it very clear that Doppler distortion in single cone full range loudspeakers is audible (although rather more correctly called Phase Distortion).

It is therefore rather apparent that correctly designed multiple driver setups have advantages despite the often vilified cross-overs, although there are the usual die-hards  insisting on the opposite. Although side-tracking the thread topic somewhat, it is important that these facts are not ignored.
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)