Author Topic: Contact cleaner which one for volume pot?  (Read 300 times)

Offline roddy100

Contact cleaner which one for volume pot?
« on: March 23, 2021, 09:17:49 AM »
Hello

I have a volume pot that seems to be corroded. Amp is a Jolida JD1501RC. Bought recently.

It seems to play soft sometimes. Other times itís louder. Today the green light on the volume pot became intermittent. Turn it and light goes out. Turn more and light comes back on. I want to try to clean volume pot before more drastic measures are required.

Can anyone kindly advise me on which contact cleaner I should use? I will probably try to purchase at the local Voltex in Hermanus.

In my mining days we used CRC as the preferred treatment to dislodge grunge and maintain electrical continuity. Would that be an acceptable solution?

Offline Steerpike

Re: Contact cleaner which one for volume pot?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 09:40:22 AM »
The light and the audio signal path through the pot have nothing to do with each other. The intermittent light suggests a bad connection to the section with the pot in it - perhaps dry solder joints or a crack on a pcb.
Putting contact cleaner in the pot will not fix that.
Contact cleaner usually damages pots, rather than fixes them UNLESS you can apply it directly to the carbon track with a needle or toothpick. Spraying it arbitrarily into holes usually means buying a new pot afterwards.

Offline roddy100

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 09:44:02 AM »
Whatís the remedy route? New pot?

Offline d0dja

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
As steerpike says, the problem is probably not the pot if your volume LED is flickering. Maybe first take a loupe and look for dry joints... or just reflow all the joints in the area if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Offline roddy100

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 02:23:55 PM »
Okay. I resisted going to buy a tin of contact cleaner. Opened amp and discovered two tiny wires to an LED on back of volume knob. One no longer connected. Deep breath and a dab with the soldering iron and I again have a light.

To get the tip of solder gun onto LED pin required removing knob from shaft of pot. Did that. Now I had the shaft and knob with wiring out the way. Just gently turned the volume from zero to max and back again for a few minutes. When all was reassembled and amp powered up again the volume seems to be back, not soft.

Thanks to all for guidance.