Author Topic: Where did my ad go? Mods?  (Read 900 times)

Offline PAPPA3

Where did my ad go? Mods?
« on: March 18, 2021, 06:32:16 PM »
I put up an ad for the Quad ESL 2905.  Can any mod explain what happened to it or why it was deleted?  It was  afor sale ad, and people were invited to put in offers?  Does that transgress a rule?

A notification / clarification would be the decent thing to do?
"The customer always complains that the price is too high, but then he goes off and brags about the bargain he got" - Proverbs 20:14, The Bible

Offline thenoizeguy

Re: Where did my ad go? Mods?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 07:10:45 PM »
You have to show an asking price.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 07:20:30 PM »
You have to show an asking price.

Ok, let me get some guidelines in the general discussion section and try again.  It was open to offers, considering the uniqueness of the situation.  But let's try again.

Would be nice to be informed and for the ad to not just be summarily deleted? 

I've seen other ads left up and people allowed to amend the ad by stipulating an asking price.  Really random application
"The customer always complains that the price is too high, but then he goes off and brags about the bargain he got" - Proverbs 20:14, The Bible

Offline Zilch

• Weet nie
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • ... never finishing projects
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 07:39:24 PM »
The guidelines clearly state you have to put up a price.  I assume this is to stop bidding wars and similar 'issues'.

Send a PM to a mod.  These things do not get discussed on the public forum.

I suspect this thread will be deleted soon.
If you don't understand the difference between "their", " there" and "they're" then your a idiot.

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 07:52:12 PM »
So trouble can be taken to delete an ad without advertiser getting a chance to amend and add a price, but no effort made to just PM "Ad a price or we delete your ad'?  We're adults here.  But let me get some guidelines in the discussion section and start over. 

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »
Thanks for moving the topic here.  But it is better left closed.

However, can is suggest if an ad lacks details, that the advertiser get the opportunity to fix the mistakes/omissions before being deleted?  The particular ad here is a grey area in that the seller asked me to sell it, but I wasn't sure of the value, all thigs considered

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 08:39:24 PM »
Ai, please read the forum rules Brett.
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,82259.0.html

34. Adverts must have a price. No price and "What Offers?/Make an offer" type of wording is strictly prohibited.
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Offline MR.C

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 07:26:42 AM »
Ai, please read the forum rules Brett.
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,82259.0.html

34. Adverts must have a price. No price and "What Offers?/Make an offer" type of wording is strictly prohibited.
I think there should be some exceptions where necessary, like in this case for example.

He is not trying to go against the rules, but the situation calls for assistance from forum members, and that is one of the reasons that we all are on here. First is to learn and second  is to help/assist others.

Just my 2c, hope its taken in the correct light.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 12:11:42 PM »
Thanks Mr C.  My sentiments exactly.  I'm helping a fellow forumite who is in KZN, and he has decided to sell the items.  I probably should have started in the General Discussion section.  My bad, but I saw it as a grey area, and had people suggested a price, we would probably just have gone with recommendations.

After the ad was deleted I DID PUT A REQUEST FOR ADVICE RE PRICING IN THE GENERAL DISCUSSION SECTION, AND THE TOPIC WAS DELETED TOO

Makes little sense. 

I have seen many ads where people omitted the price.  Then they were allowed to add the price afterwards and the ad was not deleted.  So if the rules apply, then let's have them applied consistently.

I don't feel it is my responsibility to let the mods know that a price is missing or an ad is not complete.  I will not report ads unless they are seriously offensive.  I would much rather simply remind the advertiser to stipulate a price and leave his ad up.  He simply needs to mention a price.  After all he's gone through the trouble of listing the item.

The rules are very helpful to guard against abuse, but surely they can serve as guidelines.  A simple PM to the advertiser to request they stipulate a price is far more helpful than just deleting the ad. 

I will try now for a 3rd time to get some guidance by putting another topic in the general discussion section, then using the advice put the ad up as I should have in the first case.  Suppose it serves me right for taking a short cut  :giggle:

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 12:48:07 PM »
Ok, I did ask for advice in the general discussion section and 5 minutes later it's taken down.

No explanation. 

Can the power that be PLEASE explain what I need to do, or has a request for pricing guidelines now become a transgression?

:headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 03:09:24 PM »
Brett, just post it as a sales ad and put a price in. The market will determine it's worth.

Sadly, we cannot allow 'special cases" as everyone will then just jump on the bandwagon. To be fair, no-one is going to suggest a price without pics, that is an impossible task.

Please note the following which you did sneak in to the general enquiry: 
"To be clear they are for sale, so you can also PM me reasonable offers"

Why not contact Winders on the forum, he will probably be the one to offer best advice.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »
Brett, just post it as a sales ad and put a price in. The market will determine it's worth.

Sadly, we cannot allow 'special cases" as everyone will then just jump on the bandwagon. To be fair, no-one is going to suggest a price without pics, that is an impossible task.

Please note the following which you did sneak in to the general enquiry: 
"To be clear they are for sale, so you can also PM me reasonable offers"

Why not contact Winders on the forum, he will probably be the one to offer best advice.

-F_D

Yah Neh.  Duly noted and complied.

The first post in the GD section did ask for offers.  The second one that was deleted was a straight up request for estimated value, no asking for offers, but was deleted.

Nevertheless the ad in the FS section was a grey ad, and I did feel a small exception could be made.  But rules are there for a reason, so I understand.

My gripe was simply that I have seen many people omit pricing and their ads were not removed.  They were simply pressed to set a price and the ad was left up.  I would happily have set a ballpark price if pressed, and the ad could stay up.

All's good.  By and large I agree with actions taken by mods

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 03:55:45 PM »
I understand where Pappa3 may be coming from but a simple solution would have been to move on after the rules were clarified.
HT: Marantz AV7705|RMB1585|RMB156|RB956 Optoma UHD40| Nvidia Shield
Stereo: Mark Levinson No 380s, 335| Cary Audio 200 TS| Bluesound Node
Speakers: B&W 802 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond|  2 Dual 18 inch DIY Subwoofers | 685 and DS3 surround |4x  B&W in-ceiling

Online FranZAR

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 04:33:29 PM »
I understand where Pappa3 may be coming from but a simple solution would have been to move on after the rules were clarified.
Simpler would be to abide by the rules.

OPPO using Tapatalk Mobile VIP

Exclamé 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|SP10|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|AuraLic|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 05:19:02 PM »
All noted

I think this one can be put to bed?