Zaph SR-71 build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolakidd

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to drop this all in one go, not great at project diaries.

I decided to do this build because I had the drivers, and there were a few ideas I wanted to test. Tbh I've wanted to do a Zaph build for a while... and as a kid I had a deep desire to fly in an Sr-71 Blackbird, I know they are not related... but hey. These are for my bedroom, but the reality is that I tend to move my speakers quite a bit. I wanted a set of speakers where I could reconfigure the crossover on the fly with switches. Zaph has a bunch of configuration options for the SR71, so I built these into the crossover.

So things I wanted to test:
- Oracover as a replacement for paint or spray paint. - I would say this was a massive success for a gloss or matt finish. Iron and heat gun are critical, but I love this stuff. It is a million times easier than paint. You do need to make sure a surface is as well prepped as it would be for spray painting.
- New dampening options - 3M has some cool products for dampening.
- Testing Luxor light body filler - I don't know why I have been wary of this stuff because it's amazing to work with. I intend finishing all my builds with it before painting. You can also veneer over it.
- Veneering larger surfaces with PVA wood glue - I would say this was a semi success, I had a few bubbles that I had to worker, I should have gone for a bigger roundover, all in all though larger surface area's with PVA is possible and actually really easy. I used Tightbond original. Honestly though I'm not happy with the finish, and it's something I will revisit when my workshop is rebuilt. This is more a factor of the finishing method I used. A good finish takes time, and I didn't have any.
- Adjustable crossovers
- 3D printing baffle cover and using felt as a baffle diffuser. The 3D printed baffles are great, still haven't done enough listening with the felt on and off to form an opinion.

I'm building a workshop, so my current workspace was shrinking by the minute! That's why the spaces are so damn messy, and the speakers are still dirty, I had to move out of my temporary workspace on Sunday.

So standard build pics:
You can see the 3M dampening in one shot.

41ClJbj.jpg

c1yXuXV.jpg

3d printed ports, I have the models for these in Fusion360 if anyone wants the models I am happy to share. Took a while to get the design right so for printing, you can also extend them easily..
WvM1675.jpg

This is the baffle cover, so it's a 3D printed frame holding the felt. This frame fits into another frame for a clean finish, that's in the final pic.
NEDUyWc.jpg

This is the Oracover on the stand legs. I didn't do a great job of smoothing the sides (mostly just running out of time), and you can see Oracover reveals that. The consistent Gloss finish is something I have never been able to accomplish with spraying.
v676vTN.jpg

That's the front baffle. On a nicely prepped surface the Oracover is magic. I know... not a rounded baffle, but it was a design choice.
fE0V6gt.jpg

This is the switch plate (Still have to clean it up, and I misplaced the damn toggle covers!), it basically allows the configurations shown in the black sticker diagram below.
BMAQzBl.png

That's an illustration for a sticker I am going to get printed.
bVcZ9fM.png

The finished speaker cover on. On the stand.
Q2epRwC.jpg

mMq3bOu.jpg

Sound: There are lots of reviews out there, and they live up to the hype. My first test turned into an extended listening session, which is always a good sign.

Latest posts