Author Topic: Fish sauce  (Read 562 times)

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
Fish sauce
« on: March 03, 2021, 07:03:24 PM »
I have developed a liking for cooking and I have been experimenting with various easy dishes to make. I like fried rice and thought I would give it a try. I watched a couple of Youtube clips and there was one with an oriental couple that posted a recipe that looked like a tasty and easy recipe to make. It included fish sauce. They said they don't like fishy-fishy taste, but no worry, fish sauce, no fishy-fishy taste.
I only know soy sauce...

OMW - when I put the fish sauce in the pan when cooking it started to smell so bad that my neighbour called to ask what died? OK, exaggerating a bit now, but the smell was so bad it lingered in my place for about 3 days.

Since then I have wondered how restaurants manage to use fish sauce without driving all their customers away? Did I miss something, or is there a secret to cooking with fishy-fishy... no smell, sauce?

“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Fish sauce
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 07:37:15 PM »
Only use straight from the bottle and only a few drops at a time, let it do its thing (having closed the bottle) and then taste to see if it needs more.  Half a teaspoon is generally enough in a red curry or other dish for four.  It’s fermented anchovies so tends to pong a bit.

And always add once the rest of the ingredients are in the pan.  I would imagine fish sauce onto hot pan metal would be a rather unpleasant smell
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:39:37 PM by JonnyP »
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 08:18:38 PM »
Thanks, :giggle: JonnyP I used about 1 tablespoon of sauce in a hot pan. The dish did not tase fishy-fishy, but heck the pong was horrendous. I will try your suggestion. (when I have built up some courage)
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Online Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 05:46:24 AM »
As someone who enjoys fried rice you have to watch "Uncle Roger" critique other folks making it!

https://youtu.be/53me-ICi_f8

and

https://youtu.be/FrUfwpaNNIM
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 08:14:20 AM »
I’ve seen him on Mock the Week before where he did have a good few jokes about white people cooking rice.
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 08:57:08 AM »
You only need one bad incident with fish sauce (typically using far too much) to ruin any food with even just a hint of it.

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »
Uncle Roger is very funny. Thanks for posting that!

You only need one bad incident with fish sauce (typically using far too much) to ruin any food with even just a hint of it.

It certainly spoiled the experience for me. I woke up the next morning and all I could smell wash fish sauce, actually, I woke up early because of the vile smell. I was brave so I ate the food. Having been in the army and surviving jippo guts, I thought I can survive this.

Offline socrates

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 02:47:09 PM »
fish sauce is one of those"magic" ingredients in Asian foods: As Johnny P mentioned: a very little goes a long way! Its what folk sometimes call an "umami" flavour-whatever that means ;D: It seems that cooking especially thai food would not be the same without a bit of Fish (anchovies) sauce with it :)

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 06:09:54 PM »
Taking the advice given here and with much trepidation, I made a new dish with fish sauce. I literally used about 3 drops full. That did the trick and fish oil infused the dish which had a very distinct flavour and a very pleasant taste. No smell. whoop, whoop.

My bottle of fish sauce is staying in my cupboard, I suspect for many years to come still.

It's a keeper  ;D

I have also discovered Oyster Sauce (It was hard to find, months of looking and not finding any) - it also gives that lovely umami flavour - but without the smell and in a different way very pungent. (not bad smelling but very prominent taste wise) I think these two sauces used well can produce lovely dishes. I just need to experiment and learn.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 08:27:50 PM »
When cooking with fish sauce like that, I do it in the outside laundry
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline JoziNic

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 09:47:30 AM »
Taking the advice given here and with much trepidation, I made a new dish with fish sauce. I literally used about 3 drops full. That did the trick and fish oil infused the dish which had a very distinct flavour and a very pleasant taste. No smell. whoop, whoop.

My bottle of fish sauce is staying in my cupboard, I suspect for many years to come still.

It's a keeper  ;D

I have also discovered Oyster Sauce (It was hard to find, months of looking and not finding any) - it also gives that lovely umami flavour - but without the smell and in a different way very pungent. (not bad smelling but very prominent taste wise) I think these two sauces used well can produce lovely dishes. I just need to experiment and learn.
Your initial story haunted me so, I had a full bottle of fish sauce in the pantry that i threw away, and was going to empty down the drain then recycle, but due to your original adventure, the bottle went in the bin whole, sealed and full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 12:50:15 PM »
 :facepalm:

Seems like I owe you a meal or the very least a beer.  :dop:

Offline JoziNic

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 01:22:06 PM »
:facepalm:

Seems like I owe you a meal or the very least a beer.  :dop:
Not at all. The bottle had been in the pantry for 5 years (infact I think it moved with the move from our pantry in from our previous apartment) and we had never opened it. so all good! But the haunting was when inward to empty it and the drain & decided instead to bin the whole bottle full

This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline goldfritter

• AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 01:35:51 PM »
Not at all. The bottle had been in the pantry for 5 years (infact I think it moved with the move from our pantry in from our previous apartment) and we had never opened it. so all good! But the haunting was when inward to empty it and the drain & decided instead to bin the whole bottle full

You'd have been a braver man than I had you gone through with your plan to open a five-year vintage bottle of fish sauce.

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 01:44:38 PM »
I was also wondering about that, so this is what I found.

This is what "Google" says:
Fish sauce is manufactured through fermentation process for 3–12 months, in which fish and salt are previously mixed thoroughly at a ratio of 1:3. After 4–6-month period, a liquid containing fish extract is obtained in fermentation tanks. That liquid is actually fish sauce.

Even though fish sauce rarely goes bad in terms of food safety, its quality degrades over time. ... An unopened bottle of fish sauce should easily last in good quality for a year after the best-by date or 3-4 years after bottling.

Seafood sauce can last past the best-before date in that it will be safe to eat as long as it has been stored properly. However, past this date, the condiment will steadily lose its flavour and at best, you will be left with a so-so dip.

Once opened, a bottle of fish sauce can last a long time -- 2 to 3 years (maybe even longer).

Of course, like audio reviews, one must never take the internet as gospel.

I will finish my long before the BB date.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:50:53 PM by Curlycat »