Author Topic: Buying/importing a DAC from overseas  (Read 925 times)

Offline pwatts

Re: Buying/importing a DAC from overseas
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 07:27:03 AM »
Would importing not be much cheaper?
The OP mentions a price of $1149 (R 17283)
The local seller's price is a wopping R28899 (supposedly discounted from R 44699!)
Import duties cannot come to over R11000.

Or is it not the same DAC, am I missing something?

Edit......strangely, it does not seem to have a coax input :nfi:
It has coax and Toslink, where does it show no coax? It has no AES3 input though which is unusual at that level, but not a dealbreaker.

VAT alone will push it over R20k, then there's duty and ad valorem that can be whatever SARS wants it to be, clearance fees etc. You probably will pay less but it may not be that much. And if it breaks you're on your own.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 07:42:07 AM »
It says temparirly out of stock on Amazon for around R20k maybe worth emailing Sellar and asking when it will be in stock.

I have bought a number of things from Amazon including a dac and a cellphone  and have never had an unresolved problem

RME Signal Converter (ADI-2 DAC FS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081CWQXGD/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_fabc_8Q5SQH6GYTQPKZQYAJTW

That is the interesting part, change your delivery location to a US address and it is in stock.

$1,149.00
FREE delivery: March 4 - 5
In Stock.

Temporarily our of stock quite often means they will not ship to your location.

Offline Mushroom

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Member
  • "Atomic bomb: the invention to end all inventions"
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 08:06:42 AM »
The RME has a loudness button/function, so it must be good  :whistler:

...one of the key reasons I purchased this DAC, it works like a charm, my main system does double duty; music and TV and the loudness function which is programmable is awesome for streaming Netflix late at night.

Key points I haven't seen mentioned about the RME, the USB implementation on the RME is really good and a dedicated linear power supply does make a difference.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" - Albert Einstein

Offline Dippies

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 08:40:03 AM »
Would importing not be much cheaper?
The OP mentions a price of $1149 (R 17283)
The local seller's price is a wopping R28899 (supposedly discounted from R 44699!)
Import duties cannot come to over R11000.

Or is it not the same DAC, am I missing something?

Edit......strangely, it does not seem to have a coax input :nfi:

This is the pro version. The Standard version aimed at consumers are currently sold out locally. The standard version is the one reviewed all over the web. I have emailed them to obtain the price and availability of the standard version, but have not received a response yet.

Offline Eish

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 02:01:25 PM »
The OP has gone Houdini.  But I am very keen to see how this ends since I just got my hands on the "rubbish" Bluesound Node 2i and found it absolutely great.  Perhaps, the day I get my hands on one of these Dena-what what and ladder R2R things you talk about for back to back comparison, my "ears" will be opened.

For now, I am quite fulfilled and would recommend the Node 2i with confidence to anyone wanting to try MQA streaming.
There are rules, and rules must be followed

Offline mr_b

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 02:48:18 PM »
The OP is here, and I'm doing a bit more research in the background. Honestly if you're happy with the Node 2i then that's fantastic, but paired with my revealing setup, the Node 2i just doesn't sound great. And yes I've done some A/B comparisons with another inexpensive HAT DAC, which won hands down. This thread certainly isn't to throw shade on the Node 2i! 

Thanks for all the contributions and suggestions. The Denafrips DAC's are excellent, but I've kinda got my heart set on the RME ADI2.

I'm going to contact Wild & Marr first and hear if they can supply the RME non-pro version DAC, and at what price... then I'll decide on my next move.
It's not about the gear, it's about the music... ok ok... it about the gear... no no the music... buuuuuuttt... oh the gear..

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 03:01:04 PM »
The version shown on Amazon is via a reseller. They often don't ship to SA.

If you still want to buy from them (Amazon probably has the best customer service if you need to return it), you can use Aramex Global Shopper. You ship the item to a designated address in New York, and they manage the shipping, customs and everything. It's very simple and easy. All in, you should probably add 30-40% to the USD list price for an idea of what it will cost with shipping and customs included.

But your approach is the best one - if you buy from local agent you have support, valid warranty, etc. etc.

In my recent experience, self-import rarely saves money. And even if it does, it's worth paying a bit extra for local support.

If you're going to import by yourself, rather then look for a 2nd hand unit and insist on proper courier (DHL, Fedex, etc.). If not available, use Aramex.

Offline mr_b

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2021, 03:07:03 PM »
So I managed to speak to someone at Wild & Marr. He says they only import & support the professional version of the RME ADI2 DAC. At the consumer level they only carry the M-Audio brand of DACs. 
It's not about the gear, it's about the music... ok ok... it about the gear... no no the music... buuuuuuttt... oh the gear..

Offline neilh

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2021, 03:14:24 PM »
What Tonteldoos said

I use Postbox Courier which offers same services as AGS. Once parcel hits their offices in NY, usually takes about a week till I have it in my hands. Not cheap, but super efficient and no fuss

In most cases it ends up costing what the local dealer is charging. Or not far off.
Different argument if you can't source it locally

Offline blizzard

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Science is a Living thing! It is never Concluded.
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2021, 05:21:16 PM »
So I managed to speak to someone at Wild & Marr. He says they only import & support the professional version of the RME ADI2 DAC. At the consumer level they only carry the M-Audio brand of DACs.

I ship product from Germany from time to time. To late for today but let me see what I can do tomorrow  ;)

Offline blizzard

• Trader
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 05:31:35 PM »

So just to be clear. Wild & Marr are not prepared to order you one ? (non pro unit)

Offline franSSS

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 05:31:58 PM »

can be that the 230v versus the 115v is out of stock...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 05:36:58 PM by franSSS »
seems HIFI is a passion of tweaking.

Offline mr_b

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2021, 05:41:27 PM »
So just to be clear. Wild & Marr are not prepared to order you one ? (non pro unit)

To be honest I didn't ask him that, but based on the tone of the response, telling to look at the M-Audio's... I very much so doubt they would.

I've found another online option, buying directly from Europe... and the price works out a few thousand cheaper: https://www.musicstore.com/en_ZA/ZAR/RME-ADI-2-DAC-FS/art-REC0013545-000

Offline mr_b

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2021, 05:43:34 PM »
can be that the 230v versus the 115v is out of stock...

The external power supply covers 115 and 230v:

Supplied power supply: external switching power supply, 100 - 240 V AC, 12 V DC, 2 A, 24 Watt

Offline blizzard

• Trader
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2021, 05:44:14 PM »
To be honest I didn't ask him that, but based on the tone of the response, telling to look at the M-Audio's... I very much so doubt they would.

I've found another online option, buying directly from Europe... and the price works out a few thousand cheaper: https://www.musicstore.com/en_ZA/ZAR/RME-ADI-2-DAC-FS/art-REC0013545-000

I would pull the trigger on that one! Cheapest I saw was 966 Euro. I see they are based in Germany. There should be no VAT charged as it ships out of Germany and EU  ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 05:48:33 PM by blizzard »