Beef Tibs and Alicha - much faster Ethiopian deliciousness

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyP

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, so first up is Tibs.  This can also be made with lamb (I?d use chops cut up so there is some fat)

Rump or sirloin steak cut into cubes/strips works well but I expect most cuts would (Scotch fillet may work better as it is a bit marbled)

Cut your steak into cubes or strips and sprinkle a teaspoon of bere bere over per 300g, mix well and let it sit for an hour to flavour up the meat a bit
Slice up an onion, finely chop about 1tbsp garlic and 1tbsp ginger per 300g steak
Fry all the above in unsalted butter and oil at high heat to sear the meat and get the onion nicely cooked (you may wish to start with the meat, add onion, then garlic and ginger, season at this point.
Add another tsp or so of bere bere and allow to cook out
Add a chopped tomato to the mix and allow it to cook through a bit.
If it looks a bit dry, add more butter!

Enjoy!

Alicha goes well with this as a side, or with pretty much any Ethiopian food as a side (still trying to work out shiro)

Soaked and cooked or canned split yellow peas are needed.  I use the canned gram Dahl available at Spar.

Finely chop onion, garlic and ginger and a chilli.
Fry until soft in unsalted butter and oil
Add half a teaspoon of turmeric
Add your gram Dahl
Add a little water and cook stirring until the Dahl is just beginning to disintegrate (you want soft lumpy Dahl)
Season and if necessary, you guessed it, add more butter.
It should have the consistency of mashed potato.

Serve both with injera, tomato/cucumber/chilli salad, a touch of lemon juice, cottage cheese and extra chillis