Author Topic: Advice on finding a new laptop  (Read 7081 times)

Offline ara

Re: Advice on finding a new laptop
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
For 3-4 grand I would look at these:

Asus K52F-SX505R for about R 4,000
HP WT107EA 625 for about R 4,000
HP XN822EA 625 for about R 4,000
HP Probook 4525s - AMD Phenom Triple P820 for about R 4,600
HP Probook 4520s - Intel Core i3-370M (2.40GHz) for about R 5,200
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15 Intel Core i3-380M for about R 4,600
Then there is always Dell, Samsung and Acer.

As to which brand I don't think it really matters. I had very good/bad service from HP, Dell and Acer. It only depends on who handles the service call. Most of the time though if you don't xpect much from service in SA then you never get disapointed  ;D (I know call me a pessimist).

Offline ghostinthemachine

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »
What about Toshiba? I only had good experiences with Toshiba laptops.
Conquer yourself rather than the world - Rene Descartes

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »
I've been waiting close to 6 weeks for a replacement battery for my company HP Probook notebook... If it was my own business I would probably buy a Dell with business next day support. From what I've heard they are quite on the ball with that..

Otherwise I quite like Lenovo notebooks for their keyboards and durability and Asus makes some decent value for money offerings with a longer than standard warranty along with the notebook.

Offline Prince

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »
I've been waiting close to 6 weeks for a replacement battery for my company HP Probook notebook... If it was my own business I would probably buy a Dell with business next day support. From what I've heard they are quite on the ball with that..

Otherwise I quite like Lenovo notebooks for their keyboards and durability and Asus makes some decent value for money offerings with a longer than standard warranty along with the notebook.

Dell is very good with their next day business warranty. It always makes sense to buy the 3 year warranty with any notebook, even if you don't use it -peace of mind.
What makes Dell's service good, is that power/charger packs are included in the 3 year warranty, as well as the prompt service and repair. I had my Dell E6400 notebook repaired next day for a screen bezel and power pack replacement. Took all in all about 30 minutes for the technician to sort out. Besides these small issues and my Dell ran flawlessly.
Yes, I do agree, that their drivers are not the best, especially their audio drivers that they use.

;D

"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »
Yes, I do agree, that their drivers are not the best, especially their audio drivers that they use.

;D

Wahaha - I hope I am getting you correctly there. My Dell is actually the best sounding notebook I have ever heard. It does have a built in "subwoofer" though :D.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
My Dell is actually the best sounding notebook I have ever heard. It does have a built in "subwoofer" though :D.

The HP I have now also sounds amazingly good. Doubt it has a "sub", but what it does, it does better than I expect from a tiny little speaker.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Prince

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 08:19:59 PM »
Wahaha - I hope I am getting you correctly there. My Dell is actually the best sounding notebook I have ever heard. It does have a built in "subwoofer" though :D.

-my Lenovo X201 i7 Core 2.6Ghz with a conexant HD Audio chips kicks the Dell's ass!! Even my wifey's MSI Celeron notebook sounded better than the Dell...

:)
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »
You guys gotta be kidding me ::)
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 06:09:40 AM »
You guys gotta be kidding me ::)
:D - You would be amazed :D

Offline kHz

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 05:27:55 PM »
be amazed  :D :D

http://promos.asus.com/US/NX90Jq/

SonicMaster technology, co-developed with Bang & Olufsen ICEpowerŪ, delivers the highest audio fidelity
 Designed by multiple award-winning designer David Lewis, whose main client is Bang & Olufsen

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »
I have narrowed my options down to the following for now:

1.  Dell Vostro 1015 Core 2 Duo T6670 3MB RAM, 500GB 5400 rpm HDD, Windows 7 32 bit

2.  HP 4530s XX983EA Core i3 2310M 2 MB RAM, 320GB 7200 rpm HDD, Windows 7 64 bit

Both have Bluetooth, Intel HD Graphics, 15.6" widescreen etc.  I like the fact that they both have low-reflection screens.

The HP has full numeric keypad and HDMI, but the Dell has Firewire and better after-sales.

Any opinions?

Crank

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
The Dell is a solid machine but the HP will be faster (in the unlikely event that it does work). What's the difference in price?
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 03:45:50 PM »
5000 for the Dell, 5500 for the HP (+ VAT)

Are HP's really that unreliable?

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Account Locked
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • R.I.P. August 2020
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 03:47:52 PM »
The Dell is a solid machine but the HP will be faster (in the unlikely event that it does work). What's the difference in price?

Somebody please show Gert where the on-button is on his HP... ;D

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
There's also the Vostro 3500.

I had a look at the Toshiba A660 17M.  Lot's of bang for the buck - but a little too shiny for my taste.

....reaches for grandpa powder....