Author Topic: Advice on finding a new laptop  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Crankshaft

Advice on finding a new laptop
« on: May 07, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »
I was dof enough to have gotten my laptop nicked.

It was an old Toshiba Satellite Pro M70 - P4 1.86  with a nice 256meg ATI graphics board - even had Harmon Kardon speakers.

Suggestions/recomendation for a replacement will be appreciated.

Must be robust, with decent performance.  Good video capabilities are important, as are having plenty of interfaces:  ExpressCard, PCMCIA, multi-card reader etc.

I don't need HDMI or fullHD.  My last 15.4" screen of 1280x800 was more than adequate.

Here's the important part - it must be cheap.  3 to 4 grand tops.   :)

Cheers,

Crank

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
Re: Advice on finding a new laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:01:17 PM »
I'm a bit of a Dell man, so would recommend the entry level Vostro. It's got that screen res and is pretty capable. Dealer price on those are around R4k5 ex VAT.
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Account Locked
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • R.I.P. August 2020
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
Hi Crank,
I have a refurbed Hewlett Packard Compaq 67B for R3200 if you're interested.
Core 2 Duo 2Ghz processor
2 Gig Ram
150 Gig Hard drive
1680 x 1050 Res screen
Fully updated Win XP loaded
Comes with a new Targus bag worth R500

I'm in Onrus River near Hermanus now.

Offline Skeeter

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »
I can also vouch for the Dell Vostro - had the 1520 previously and wife has a 1720 now.  Very nice build quality and pretty solid specifications.  I've always admired HP - especially the Work Station series - but the new Probook's don't look right to me (completely subjective).

Besides Gert's suggestion and depending on your connections (if you buy retail or direct), you might have to go super entry-level ...
http://www.prophecy.co.za/samsung-rv510a02za-intel-celeron-t3500-210ghz-ddr2800-p-86115.html

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »
3-4K will not buy much in big brand names. LG and Samsung on the other hand, come packed to the rafters. Acer and MSI too.
Personally, I'm MSI fan even though I've been living with Dell & HP over many, many years. Corporate decision, nothing I can do.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »
I'm running a Dell Vostro 3500 and I cannot fault it. But then, I also use a Dell Lattitude D830 which I like as well :)

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
At my old job I had a Dell Studio 1537. Piece of crap. Must have been entry level. IT boss was forever trying to solicit positive comments from me. Probably schemed she could standardise on this model for the company. But I had big problems with drivers and cursor jumping to where mouse pointer was. Managed to get the right driver, eventually, but later it somehow reverted to the old one. Enabling bluetooth was also a mission on its own. Dell is supposed to be turnkey, but it turned out not to be the case. When they bought that laptop, Dell was only supplying it with Vista, so it had to be downgraded by us. No help from Dell. I'm not impressed by them.

Current laptop is an HP ProBook 6555b. No hassles so far (1 month).

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 08:27:23 AM »
+1 on the HP ProBook

Stable, fast, reliable (even with Windoze)
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 08:33:23 AM »
Been away for the weekend.  Thanks for all the feedback.

Offline ghostinthemachine

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »
You can usually find NEW laptops at retail outlets that specializes in those types of electronic devices  ;D  ;D
Conquer yourself rather than the world - Rene Descartes

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
My experience with HP has been exactly the opposite. Three years ago we went through laptop HDD's like crazy. HP took forever to get replacements (I had to purchase a bunch just to get the guys going) and never wanted to acknowledge that they had a problematic batch (although the laptops were all bought at the same time). They also dragged their feet with having our desktops repaired, always using 'waiting for parts' as an excuse.

Since that day, I changed to Dell exclusively (33 laptops and 15 desktops - done as a corporate procurement process) and only had one laptop keyboard go faulty in this time. This laptop was out of warranty, but their tech was still at out office the next day to replace the keyboard. Free.of.charge...

Guess who I'll support?
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
Ja... HP probook works nice, but my colleague's had a corrupt partition and it caused all sortsairritatingshit that was blamed on just about everything else, except HP... the technical helpdesk people are quite nice though.
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 09:02:07 AM »
You can usually find NEW laptops at retail outlets that specializes in those types of electronic devices  ;D  ;D

I trust the opinions of the esteemed AVF crowd over some hifi-corp bozo.

But, I gotta confess, with all the conflicting opinions, I may be better off heading off to china-town and taking my chances with whatever box tickles my fancy.   ;D  ;D

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
My experience with HP has been exactly the opposite. Three years ago we went through laptop HDD's like crazy. HP took forever to get replacements (I had to purchase a bunch just to get the guys going) and never wanted to acknowledge that they had a problematic batch (although the laptops were all bought at the same time). They also dragged their feet with having our desktops repaired, always using 'waiting for parts' as an excuse.

Since that day, I changed to Dell exclusively (33 laptops and 15 desktops - done as a corporate procurement process) and only had one laptop keyboard go faulty in this time. This laptop was out of warranty, but their tech was still at out office the next day to replace the keyboard. Free.of.charge...

Guess who I'll support?
My experiences have been the same as Gert's. Dell provide very good backup service. Many of their notebooks come with a 3 year next business day onsite warranty which is invaluable if you actually use your notebook. Also low failure rate.

HP have been awful with their support, and have broken often.

Apple - well pretty machine - crappy service.

Offline LAV

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
Dell. Great service, very few hiccups. That said, for small retail / non-corporate customers the big brands are sometimes a bit expensive. For R3k - R4k you would need to look at an entry-level machine from someone like Samsung, LG, Compaq. For R5k you could get something with a much better CPU, more RAM and larger HDD than for say R3k.
Vaal Triangle (Southern Gauteng)