Author Topic: Drop he-4xx users  (Read 1148 times)

Offline naughty

Re: Drop he-4xx users
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 12:33:30 AM »
All shipping costs are horrendous.  Limited flight availability. 

I am still paying 2 to 2.5 x the rate I paid in Jan 2020 from most origins.

MYUS works out much better - even getting Amazon to send to your MYUS box with free shipping in the US then getting it sent here and paying the handling and VAT fees yourself is a lot cheaper than Amazons direct shipping - at least thats how it worked out the last time i got something that was imported

i must add that the MYUS box is not mine but is a friends who has a business import code so he can do unlimited imports - so he added some IEM tips for me from Ebay in his last import

Offline groenspookasem

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 09:01:38 AM »
excellent responses - thank you!

i think getting a decent amp/dac combo is a must, i'm partial to the schiit magni/modi combo (overkill?) but again open for suggestions. even the fiiio k5pro looks alright. does topping do combos or ifi ? i saw a lint legacy tube amp - worth it?

what would pair well with the he-4xx or possibly the hd-6xx (yes they're fairly different)

Offline naughty

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »
excellent responses - thank you!

i think getting a decent amp/dac combo is a must, i'm partial to the schiit magni/modi combo (overkill?) but again open for suggestions. even the fiiio k5pro looks alright. does topping do combos or ifi ? i saw a lint legacy tube amp - worth it?

what would pair well with the he-4xx or possibly the hd-6xx (yes they're fairly different)

sure the sound in those headphones is fairly different but both need some amplification - the magni/modi combo is okay - if you really want great sound with that combo then cosider paying extra for the modi multibit - the K5 pro is fine too - it packs a punch on paper - if you want a single unit solution the K5 pro makes sense ....... though IMHO if you really want to get a Drop HD6xx you can also look at the ifi zen signature DAC with a zen Can signature - the signature Can is designed with Equalization for the HD6xx but you can disable that for the other headphones but when using it in combo with the 6xx it is supposed to be a great combination - and the Zen signature DAC is specifically only a DAC instead of being a DAC/AMP all in one like the regular Zen DAC

any combinations of those will provide you with a decent entry level sound quality - but it wont really be a top level setup - for example if you take the Ifi Zen signature combo which goes for around $699 which is the Zen DAC signature plus Zen Can signature which are designed to shine with the HD 6xx plus the HD6xx (and the DAC/AMP combo also has the 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect to connect the DAC to the amp - remember that Im not talking about the Drop set which is sold through (effectively sold out), but the one on the ifi audio site - link

https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-signature-set/

well this combo is around $699 and the HD6xx is $220 last i saw but it doesnt seem to be available now on Drop so you have to wait for it - but if you do go that route then its $920 plus whatever shipping and duty and taxes you have to pay

as opposed to getting a Hifiman Ananda at $699 and a regular Zen DAC at $120 + a balanced 4.4mm cable to use the Zen Dac balanced at $49 - with the lowish power on offer from the regular Zen DAC but the increased sensitivity and lower impedance of the Ananada you wont lack for power 

the DAC says currently unavailable at Amazon but they should restock it sooner than Drop restocks their stuff and drop it

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Zen-DAC-Converter-Unbalanced/dp/B07YZK5MDS

https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-Ananda-Full-Size-Headphones-Comfortable/dp/B07DJ2ZBB3

https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Connector-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B08DKJ9YQ7

this was two combinations i was considering for entry level though IMHO the Ananda is a way better headphone than both the HD6xx and HE4xx by a huge margin IMHO - and will scale to way higher levels as you improve on the DAC/AMP as you decide to upgrade - similar amounts of money - so don't only stick to the totally entry level items - expand your search to other items too ie a better higher sensitivity headphone with a lowish powered amp could work just as well if not arguably better than a seemingly well matched set with all only entry level components

BTW - not trying to force you into any direction - because maybe a HD6xx or HE5xx/HE4xx with a Fiio K5 pro may work perfectly for your needs at around half the total of everything i mentioned above - but just pointing out some combos that may be of interest  :thumbs: - but seems like i am definitely heading in that Ananda direction because the better headphones gets this combo closer to mid tier than entry level for similar money  ..... but thats just me  ;) YMMV

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 11:11:53 AM by naughty »

Offline sajunky

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 02:31:31 PM »
Biased: Audio GD R2R-11 ($350) with HD6xx or even better: A-2 $315 for HE-4xx if you have a fine DAC already.
If it measures good and sounds bad—it's bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing.
/ Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, Chief Engineer, H.H. Scott/

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Recovering gear addict.
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 04:05:41 PM »

I personally believe "paring" is an unscientific goose-chase with flawed products unless we're talking about the effect of OTL tube amps on 300/600 Ω cans, rather get something with drive and transparency and if the cans sound **** then jog on.

A few months back I had these amp/DACs all in a roundup: iFi Zen DAC, Fiio K5 Pro, Audio-gd R2R, Topping DX3 Pro and the JDS Labs Element II

As I've listed them is pretty much worst to best (not to say the Zen is bad) with the caveat that the Topping is gain limited to 0dB since it sounds like :cr@p: on high gain, so an NFB-11 is probably one's best bet short of the Element II or something more expensive.

Can choice is hard to pin down as it comes down to personal preference... I owned the 560 S and thought it was a more engaging can than the 6XX, but I sold my LCD-2 F for a Focal "Eclair" so I moved those on as well which I regret a bit... I still own the 6XX as it's still the gold standard for midrange, and I'm patiently waiting for my Drop Darkvoice.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 04:10:54 PM by Doge »

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 05:54:33 PM »

... I still own the 6XX as it's still the gold standard for midrange, and I'm patiently waiting for my Drop Darkvoice.

Nice combo, do yourself a favour and do a fair amount of tube rolling. It can make a huge difference.
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”  Alan Watts

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 08:38:34 PM »
How does the  Sennheiser HD6xx/HD600/HD650 compare to the Beyerdynamics DT770? (considering one is open back and the other sealed).
I know the Sennheiser sound well but have never tried the Beyerdynamics. Are the Beyers as confortable as the Sennheisers (which are uber comfortable)?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:47:57 PM by Drifter »

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 10:46:05 AM »
How does the  Sennheiser HD6xx/HD600/HD650 compare to the Beyerdynamics DT770? (considering one is open back and the other sealed).
I know the Sennheiser sound well but have never tried the Beyerdynamics. Are the Beyers as confortable as the Sennheisers (which are uber comfortable)?

The Beyers are seriously comfortable even though its pads are not very thick. I would say easily on a par with the Sennheisers, minus the clamp!

Sound-wise I personally love the DT770 (250 Ohm is definitely the one to get). It is unapologetically V-shaped and will deliver visceral bass if properly driven.

Mids are perfectly OK considering they are somewhat scooped, while highs are not as deadly as its DT990 brethren.

They do not have the technicalities of the Sennheiser twins, which do scale more, but damn they are entertaining and accurate enough.

Considering their price they are the go-to closed backs under R10k IMHO  :groovy:

Offline goldfritter

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 11:33:51 AM »
The Beyers are seriously comfortable even though its pads are not very thick. I would say easily on a par with the Sennheisers, minus the clamp!

Sound-wise I personally love the DT770 (250 Ohm is definitely the one to get). It is unapologetically V-shaped and will deliver visceral bass if properly driven.

Mids are perfectly OK considering they are somewhat scooped, while highs are not as deadly as its DT990 brethren.

They do not have the technicalities of the Sennheiser twins, which do scale more, but damn they are entertaining and accurate enough.

Considering their price they are the go-to closed backs under R10k IMHO  :groovy:
Thanks for this, I was literally thinking today I want to make a thread for "best closed-backs under 5k." Thinking of upgrading my work kit, currently using the Turtle Beach Elite Atlas, which is pretty good for a budget gamer headset, but is still a budget gamer headset.

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 12:17:17 PM »

Will the Schitt Modi/Magni stack or the iFI Zen be a good combo for the DT770 250ohm?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 12:26:24 PM by Drifter »

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 12:51:23 PM »
Will the Schitt Modi/Magni stack or the iFI Zen be a good combo for the DT770 250ohm?

On paper both would seem to be a decent match. DT770 doesn't need huge power or voltage to sing - Magni will be more than sufficient.

I haven't heard the Schiits but did have a listen to the Zen and it was very pleasant with HD6XX.

I have a sense that maybe the Magni could be a bit forward for the Beyers.

I used the NFB11.32 mostly for the Beyers when I still had a pair, very good synergy I thought.

For casual listening as a work rig the Zen is worth consideration, and easier to get locally than the Yank gear.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 12:55:57 PM by capetownwatches »

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 01:10:38 PM »
On paper both would seem to be a decent match. DT770 doesn't need huge power or voltage to sing - Magni will be more than sufficient.

I haven't heard the Schiits but did have a listen to the Zen and it was very pleasant with HD6XX.

I have a sense that maybe the Magni could be a bit forward for the Beyers.

I used the NFB11.32 mostly for the Beyers when I still had a pair, very good synergy I thought.

For casual listening as a work rig the Zen is worth consideration, and easier to get locally than the Yank gear.

Yes the Schitt combo is around R3000 (USD200) and then shipping to SA is another USD100. Then SARS would still want their VAT and Duties as well so it may work out close to R5000 to import.
The iFi is just over R3000 and is available locally.

Offline groenspookasem

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 02:58:27 PM »
Thanks for the info all, I've also eyed the dt770's and glad they were thrown in the pot.

Offline neilh

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 07:24:17 PM »
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,92991.0.html

With a Zen is a pretty good start to this incredibly slippery slope

Offline neilh

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2021, 08:38:22 PM »