Author Topic: Drop he-4xx users  (Read 1149 times)

Offline groenspookasem

Drop he-4xx users
« on: February 23, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »
anybody on here using the hifiman/drop he-4xx cans? seems good value for cheap planar, easy to drive with a decent soundstage albeit warmer than the hd6xx. any advice or considerations before i click on 'checkout now'? i'll run if off my phone or fiio m6 for the time being.

importing from drop an issue? i'll use ags as the forwarder.

Offline capetownwatches

Re: Drop he-4xx users
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 01:47:58 PM »
Just be aware of HiFiMan's reputation for less than stellar QC, especially with the cheaper models.
That and the fact that you will have no warranty locally.

For the money they do seem great value. I haven't read any reviews, but if they are in fact warmer than HD6XX (which I do have), they will be a VERY warm headphone.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:58:28 PM by capetownwatches »

Offline groenspookasem

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 03:47:25 PM »
it's cheap enough to discard the warranty, the iffy qc concerns me more.
this bloke did a half decent comparison between the drop senn6xx and hifiman4xx, also some individual reviews of both, but wouldn't mind feedback from a local expert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxgkFYo7OjY

Offline neilh

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 04:17:09 PM »
Why not the HE5XX?

Offline groenspookasem

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 04:49:34 PM »
Why not the HE5XX?

apart from being 18ohmers, what's the difference bewteen 5xx vs 4xx? and what benefit does the 5xx have over 4xx?
considering that the 5xx equals the hd6xx in cost, and answering your question with a question, why the he5xx? 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:52:53 PM by groenspookasem »

Offline neilh

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 05:16:10 PM »
Just throwing it out there as another option. Depends on what sort of music you listening to

HD560S is also pretty close price wise (US$ 249)

Local option as well
https://e-piphany.co.za/product/sennheiser-sen-509144-hd560s/

PS I feel your pain, deciding on similar headphones

Offline Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »
I'm keen on getting a set of Sennheiser HD 6XX from Drop.

Let m,e know if you want to do a group buy. Maybe we can save on shipping costs.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 05:25:37 PM »
Perhaps they are easy to drive planars.   It easy to drive per se.  They definitely wake up with a proper headphone output (amp) or DAP in my experience.   

I also nearly gave up on mine.  I did not find them insightful enough. 

Then I lent them to a friend to try out.  He put another 50 or so hours on them and they were quite different and alive when they came back. 
New I found them bordering on dull.   

Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 05:58:55 PM »
apart from being 18ohmers, what's the difference bewteen 5xx vs 4xx? and what benefit does the 5xx have over 4xx?
considering that the 5xx equals the hd6xx in cost, and answering your question with a question, why the he5xx?

HE-4XX is based from HE-400i which is an earlier single magnet planar magnetic design from Hifiman, which is a couple of years old now.
HE-5XX is based on the entry level Hifiman Deva which is a newer headphone design and quite efficient. Hifiman intended the HE-5XX headphone to replicate the sound of the HE-500 which has been off the market for quite a while, but still has a popular following.

QC on Hifiman can be a bit hit and miss, but generally their customer service hasn't too bad in my experience if you purchase from them directly, but this might vary if you buy through Drop. My Hifiman headphone pair is almost 10 years old now and still working just fine, though I did buy aftermarket earpads and an cable upgrade for them that are of much higher quality than what came bundled with the headphones. The pair of Focuspads that I bought from Hifiman disintegrated completely.

Also check out Amazon as you can purchase items from Drop there as well with the duty pre-calculated which results in a much better shipping experience compared with dealing with import duties locally through courier services.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »
I had a pair and did not find them particularly easy to drive. (not with my kit anyway) They may be low impedance, but I think they do not have high sensitivity. I would suggest matching with an amp. My phone certainly did not do it.
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Offline naughty

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 06:48:03 PM »
i dunno who told you that the HE4xx is easy to drive - IME its a pig to drive because of the 93db sensitivity even though it has a lowish impedance (35 ohm) - you need an amp with a bit of Vooma to make it sing properly - lower powered headphone amps need not apply

i use it with my DAP which provides 255mw at 32ohm single ended OR 550mw at 32 ohm balanced - and realistically in order to get the same volume levels as my IEMs at volume level 60 in single ended mode i have to turn it up to a level of 100 (out of 120) in balanced mode (i purchased a separate 2.5mm terminated balanced cable for the HE4xx which costs around R1200 landed here) - pic of that cable

trying to turn it up any higher will make it sound distorted ie i can start hearing distortion on certain tracks so i rarely go above those levels but its fairly loud at those levels ie 60 for the IEMs and 100 for the HE4xx but the HE4xx definitely benefits from higher powered desktop amps - it is in no way easy to drive and you cannot defeat the laws of physics - run it underpowered and it will sound dead and dull as Hi-Phibian has described initially and yes a long period of "Run-In" also works with the HE4xx - its gonna take a couple of months of listening (if you don't "run it in" before you start enjoying the sound - once its a couple of months old it works fine enough but you also have to give it a fair amount of power - if you use an underpowered amp ie 100 or 150 mw then you will sell the headphones within two months because you will be disappointed - don't say i didn't warn you  ;)

you will also need that balanced cable if you expect it to draw capable amounts of power from your amp - the HD6xx has an impedance of 150 ohms and by all reports also needs a bit of power - which is why for my upgrade path i'm seriously looking at a Hifiman Ananda which has an impedance of 20 ohms and sensitivity of 103db ..... now this is easy to drive - this with a balanced cable and i'm sure i will be turning volume levels down bigtime and my DAPs amp section will drive it at similar volume levels to the IEMs - so i could get away without a desktop DAC or amp and just use DAP as a DAC/AMP with my PC - like in this situation but using the Ananda headphones instead of the IEMs

only issue here is that the Ananda's are in a different price level but i'm hoping that it prevents me from having to purchase an expensive desktop DAC/AMP so i can upgrade my DAP instead so stick to one DAP and headphone setup for portable and desktop too (with a suitable set of mid tier cheap but good Chi-Fi IEMs (not a 20k+ high end monster)

one final point on the HE4xx - once its properly "run in' and if you use it in balanced mode with a fair amount of power output then it sounds pretty good for its price (including the accessories like the balanced cable) - but its still only only entry level in terms of audiophile quality gear - so don't expect too much from it and you wont be left disappointed  :thumbs: - currently i use mine for around an hour or two daily and it sounds pretty damn decent though obviously spending a lot more gets you way better and i have heard a lot better but at far higher pricing than the HE4xx is at 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:57:02 PM by naughty »

Offline dingeth

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 09:20:30 PM »
If you're worried about importing from Drop, Amazon stocks some of their models weigh might make it simpler in terms of ordering.

DROP + HIFIMAN HE5XX Planar Magnetic Over-Ear Open-Back Headphones, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P55D5YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_7GN6B802JTJ5WNMED8J4
Audio Noob

Offline naughty

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 09:32:21 PM »
If you're worried about importing from Drop, Amazon stocks some of their models weigh might make it simpler in terms of ordering.

DROP + HIFIMAN HE5XX Planar Magnetic Over-Ear Open-Back Headphones, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P55D5YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_7GN6B802JTJ5WNMED8J4

Amazon shipping costs have become horrendous since the pandemic began - most of the time its no longer cost effective getting it from Amazon anymore  :nfi:

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 09:37:07 PM »
All shipping costs are horrendous.  Limited flight availability. 

I am still paying 2 to 2.5 x the rate I paid in Jan 2020 from most origins. 

Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 10:14:20 PM »
Amazon shipping costs have become horrendous since the pandemic began - most of the time its no longer cost effective getting it from Amazon anymore  :nfi:

Yeah the Amazon shipping fees are quite bad, but all shipping fees have gone significantly up due to limited flights with Covid-19. But shipping through Amazon is much easier and simplified compared to dealing directly with local couriers. All my parcels that were shipped through couriers either ended being stuck in customs for weeks or I battled with getting the correct paperwork out of them. You can also check out Scott's shipping services and see if that work's out cheaper directly through Drop.