Author Topic: Marantz 6110 TT - spinning fast  (Read 491 times)

Offline 80ís VinylHead

Marantz 6110 TT - spinning fast
« on: February 13, 2021, 01:43:32 AM »
So my little vintage setup was working perfectly ........ 20 albums in and then all of a sudden my TT is spinning fast (around 38 measured with Turntabulator). Seems this is not a normal problem for the Marantz cause all the looking up Iíve found is about it being slower not faster. It also doesnít seem consistent because a quick switch from 33 to 45 and back again fixes it for around 30 seconds and then starts spins fast again.

Any ideas on what this could be. Also a complete newbie, so even if itís something normal to check please let me know.

Offline MusicMan_ZA

Re: Marantz 6110 TT - spinning fast
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 08:44:19 PM »
I think I have had this problem before:
It is a 2-speed belt drive, and the 45/33 speed is achieved by running the belt
(and I am going to assume your belt is good)
around a bigger and a smaller section of the motor pulley.
If the belt is not fully/correctly around the appropriate section of the motor pulley,
the speed will be off.
On these old turntables the motor "hangs" from the top plate, and "rests" on rubber grommets/motor mountings.
These get old and squashed (compressed) and the motor then hangs (usually) too low, causing the belt
to run around (sometimes partially) the incorrect section of the motor pulley.
Check this, and replace the rubber mountings if necessary.
Play with adding nylon or fibre washers, if you want to see if this is indeed the problem.

It may not be, but this could well be your problem.

I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline 80ís VinylHead

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 12:33:10 AM »
MusicMan_ZA Iím pretty sure you right with this. I had the entire bottom off the TT today, manually squeezed  these rubber grommets to get them to the ďproperĒ height and slightly ďtightenedĒ the screws around these rubber grommets and boom working perfectly fine. So these probably need to be replaced but I would have ZERO idea where to get these from

Offline MusicMan_ZA

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
In Cape Town I usually buy from
RUBBER PRODUCTS & MOULDINGS
in Maitland.
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline fredeb

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 12:21:10 PM »
ACDC have moulded rubber pieces used to pass cable through a chassis wall , in different sizes . These may also work for your purpose .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 03:26:37 PM »
^^  Rubber grommets

Any electronics store will have these.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline 80ís VinylHead

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 07:43:56 PM »
Thank you all.

When the TT starts with the speed up again i'll look into taking off the rubber grommets and tryingthese places out and getting new ones.

Offline fredeb

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 07:56:36 PM »
Very clever of @MusicMan_ZA  to have diagnosed that . Well spotted Johan !  :thumbs:
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts