Quick (relatively) Doro Wat (Ethiopian Chicken Curry)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyP

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I love Ethiopian food (my sister-in-law is Ethiopian and is a great cook in any currency).  I have hankerings for the spicy, deeply tasty food from the country but two limitations.  1. I cannot easily get the spiced butter used in most of the dishes, 2. I don?t have 12 hours to make a chicken curry! (Yes, the real version takes about that long).  So I searched around and adapted a recipe which is pretty quick (less than 2 hours but longer is still better), and tastes reasonably authentic.  Before anyone asks, no, injera is well beyond my capability so this works with rice or roti (or injera if you have a local supplier):

For two servings, or four if bolstered with other sides (recommended).

1. Grate two large onions (yes, grate, so they are very finely chopped, finer than you can manage with a knife)
2.  On a low to medium heat, melt unsalted butter and mix some oil in (don?t be shy with the butter, a 1cm slab for starters)
3.  Add the grated onion, a pinch of salt, and let it sweat for about 30 mins on a low heat (stir when necessary but don?t let it get too dry, add a little water if needs be.
4.  Add a tablespoon of grated ginger and a teaspoon of garlic, if necessary (ie. it looks dry or sticks), add another slab of butter (you will otherwise add this at the next step), cook, stirring as necessary for another 15minutes.
5.  Add one of the following-half a small wine glass of mead or tej (honey wine), or the same amount of white wine with a teaspoon of honey, or (as I do) the half a glass of honey liqueur (Barenjager) watered down (one 25ml measure in water). This then needs to cook another 15mins
6.  Prepare your chicken - cut into inch cubes and wash, then add the juice of a lemon and let it sit.
7. Boil and shell a couple of eggs (hard or medium hard boiled) while the sauce is cooking.
7.  Add two tablespoons of bere bere spice to the onion mix, stir through and let it cook (stirring as necessary) for about 30 mins.
8.  Add the chicken and another slab of butter to the sauce.  Stir through and let it cook (about another 30 mins). Add the hard boiled eggs for the last ten minutes to reheat and get a little saucy.
9.  Add any salt you think may be needed and serve once the chicken is cooked through.

Serve with injera, or roti, a tomato/cucumber/chilli salad, cottage cheese and alicha (like a thicker daal). Or just with rice and a salad on the side.